Help please! hand applique bias strips for "vines" or stems" >

Help please! hand applique bias strips for "vines" or stems"

Help please! hand applique bias strips for "vines" or stems"

Old 05-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mic-pa
Originally Posted by bearisgray
when I hand applique stems etc. I cut them on the bias and and with right sides together I sew them down the side. Then I have strips of plastic made just for stems etc. (found at most quilt shops) insert them in the tube I have made and iron them with the seam in the center so as to have it hidden on the underside as I hand sew the stem down. Once ironed of coarse you pull the strip of plastic out. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Maybe someone on here has a tutorial they can show you. Marge
Wouldn't you sew WRONG sides together ?
No, right sides together and when you insert the plastic strip you work the fabric so the seam is in the middle of the back, trim that seam to 1/8 in or less and press the stem down. Remove the plastic and and your seam will be on the underside of the stem. That way you do not have to turn it right side out which would be almost impossible because they are so narrow.
If I want the fabric to end up right side facing out, and I don't turn the narrow tube of fabric?????
Old 05-30-2009, 06:24 AM

I also sew my bias strips wrong side together, then insert the "strip" (mine happens to be metal) and press seam to center. If you sew the bias strips right side together, you would have to turn it inside out, which would be difficult if the strips were very narrow. Thats just what works for me.

Phyllis
Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 AM

Wow! Thanks everybody! think I have made my decision. Off to lqs for the flat metal or plastic strips. seems like the easiest way to handle. Also, I have beenironing, then basting my butcher paper to fabric pieces. Watched a tute using liquid starch, artist paint brush and mini iron.. How simple and FAST is THAT????? no more basting and sore finger for me. Now. just have to wtch that hot little iron and fingers. Thanks again. y'all are G-R-E-A-T :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-30-2009, 07:23 AM

when I hand applique stems etc. I cut them on the bias and and with right sides together I sew them down the side. Then I have strips of plastic made just for stems etc. (found at most quilt shops) insert them in the tube I have made and iron them with the seam in the center so as to have it hidden on the underside as I hand sew the stem down. Once ironed of coarse you pull the strip of plastic out. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Maybe someone on here has a tutorial they can show you. Marge
this is the easiest method. If they are on the true bias they bend around a curve just great....remember inter curve first and then outer curve
Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Got ot Lind R! Thanks! INNER curve first.....
Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 AM

No, right sides together and when you insert the plastic strip you work the fabric so the seam is in the middle of the back, trim that seam to 1/8 in or less and press the stem down. Remove the plastic and and your seam will be on the underside of the stem. That way you do not have to turn it right side out which would be almost impossible because they are so narrow.
If I want the fabric to end up right side facing out, and I don't turn the narrow tube of fabric?????
OOPS, shame on me IT is wrong side together and right side facing you. Sorry. My first quote was right. My second one was wrong. Marge
Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Yes, because you DON'T TURN the piece. You trim the seam allowance to practically nothing and press it open, flattening the stem so the seam is on the BACK of the applique piece. You stitch it down on either side. Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:27 PM

:shock: Well, I guess I learned something. Because I did sew rightside together, & turned them. Then used the bias bars to press flat with seam in the middle. Also even though they were bias strips I had to dampen them to get a smooth curve but I was shapeing them into the pink ribbon (cancer awareness) symbol, and they just wouldn't curve smoothly & be flat withour dampening & then pressing in shape. But I got it done. Turned out great too. Then I appliqued them down. Still got enought to add to another full quilt, :lol:
Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Suz

I cut my bias a lot wider than required for the finished stem. I use those white plastic strips that are used to bundle items together and have a slot at the end to tighten. Clip off that sloted end, the other end is slightly pointed. (Sorry, I don't know the techincal name but know they are lot cheaper than the bias bars. They also cool quicker than the metal.)

Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, use your cording or zipper foot and stitch along the edge of the white strip - really crowd the strip and slip the strip along the entire length of bias as you stitch. Before removing the strip, trim very closely to the sewn line. Owing to the crowding of the strip, wiggle the seam to the underside with the plastic strip still inside, sliding it along until the entire strip is pressed; and finally remove. You may also use a spritz of sizing to dampen before pressing, I do as it give a crisp edge. -- This even works with long, long strips for stems that may have to be seamed together.

PS: I prefer sizing, as spray starch leaves a white residue.

Suzanne
Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks! all good information I'm gathering. I did buy the BIAS STRIPS and they seem to work well. I just need to use ziper foot to get REALLY close to edge of bar. Thanks for tip on sizing vs starch. The quilt wil be washed and dried before giving it away so does it really matter which I use???