Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, Please!  Last 3 quilt backs have puckered. >

Help, Please! Last 3 quilt backs have puckered.

Help, Please! Last 3 quilt backs have puckered.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Unhappy Help, Please! Last 3 quilt backs have puckered.

I have an Avante set up on a 10 foot studio frame. I finished my husband's 93x120 quilt in Feb 2011 and the top and backing were perfect. I'm using the same batting, good quality fabrics..batiks, stonehenge, and this last quilt had Jason Yenter and Marcus fabric. My husband's fabris were the Shadow Play line. These last 3 quilts have puckered on the back creating pleats in the crosswise direction on the back. No pleats lengthwise. On the frame the quilt sandwich appears to be smooth and with enough tension. I can't figure out what the problem is so I can correct it. Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Are you maybe pulling the backing too tightly when you layer the sandwich? That's all I can think of.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by eastermarie View Post
I have an Avante set up on a 10 foot studio frame. I finished my husband's 93x120 quilt in Feb 2011 and the top and backing were perfect. I'm using the same batting, good quality fabrics..batiks, stonehenge, and this last quilt had Jason Yenter and Marcus fabric. My husband's fabris were the Shadow Play line. These last 3 quilts have puckered on the back creating pleats in the crosswise direction on the back. No pleats lengthwise. On the frame the quilt sandwich appears to be smooth and with enough tension. I can't figure out what the problem is so I can correct it. Any suggestions?
How tight are winding the backing? If you stretch it too much then when you release the tension it sort of snaps back.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Are your leaders straight? Sometimes when they're used a bit, they get off just enough to mess things up.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Also, check to be sure you have the quilt loaded (going in the right direction) on the rollers. I found this out the hard way and since Ive been doing it CORRECTLY have never had another pucker. Good luck
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM

First the backing must be square before loading it to a frame. And make sure it is pinned with the center of the top of the backing and the center of the bottom exactly opposite each other. Each time you advance the quilt sandwich look underneath to make sure no puckers have been rolled in the backing. If you see a pucker, loosen the tension, pull on the backing until the pucker comes out, tighten the tension, and proceed to quilt.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a long arm machine but I have heard that some people like the "Red Snappers" on the sides for side tension. They are kind of like clothespins on elastic cords that hold the crossways fabric tight. I don't know if that would help your problem or not.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought and tried the Red Snappers on a quilt, but had trouble getting the the top loaded completely straight across the frame. It was off 1/4" and it really showed up at the bottom. Haven't used them since. suebee, I think the quilt is going in the right direction, the quilt top and the quilt backing rollers load from the inside between the two rollers , and the backing is brought over to the take up roller and the batting floats between the top and bottom. I'll run the video again to make sure I'm pinning the top and backing to the correct edge of the leader. I know both piecess roll up correctly on the rollers. I've done something wrong on the last 3 quilts, because the first 2 turned out just fine. Thanks so much for taking the time to offer suggestions. Most of the time quilting with the Avante is like trying to coast a 747 down one of WV's narrow country roads. The slightest movement can send you way off the road.