Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please with pattern suggestions..... >

Help please with pattern suggestions.....

Help please with pattern suggestions.....

Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM

I have mentioned before that my father died last year, and I hoped at some point to take his shirts and make quilts for my niece and nephew.(I have no biological children). My nephew, who is 11, is clinging so hard to the things my father had bought him. Such as a pair of tennis shoes-the are beyond repair, yet he won't stop wearing them. It makes me so sick the thought of bringing Daddy's clothes home and cutting them up, but I think my nephew NEEDS a quilt made from Daddy's clothes. The child needs comfort now. My niece is a little different, and mourns differently. What pattern would work well for solids and plaids, and maybe work up pretty quickly so I can give my nephew some comfort he can wrap up in at night? Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM

I would cut clothes up in squares and autanat (mspell) sq's like maybe a 6in.sq.my Dads pj was done this way just a idea
Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM

I am making a quilt for my brother, it's waiting for backing in the frame. Our father died in December and my brother is the executor of the estate. He is doing so much work getting everything settled that I wanted to thank him for all he is doing.

I am not using my father's clothes but Cival War reproduction fabric. I used a pattern called 4 Square Fun that I purchased on the net. It is very simple squares and rectangles and would be good for scraps.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 PM

I think it's a wonderful thing that you want to do for your nephew.

Maybe you could make a rag quilt. You could use a variety of prints, it would be quick and easy, and it would be soft snuggly for him.

How old is your nephew? Do you have a cap that your dad wore or even a shirt he could wear as a nightshirt? My mom gave one of the grandsons a parka that dad wore alot and it meant the world to him. It gave him a feeling of closeness to his grandpa and that sounds like what your nephew might need.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Here is one I made for a friend from her hubby's clothes, and here is the pattern I used. Very easy pattern.

http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ScotsPlaidBlock.html

Attached Thumbnails attachment-28930.jpe  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:13 PM

Hi there,
My father passed away this last January. My Mom is making a quilt out of his shirts & I have been helping her. She is just cutting them into 6" sq's & sewing them together, that way. She is trying to mix the plaids & the solids with no paticulare pattern & it seems to be truning out rather nice. I think if you just get started, it will come to you. Good Luck with this quilt for your nephew. Hopefully you will share picture's with us, as your project gets going.
Keep on quilting!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM

The idea I've chosen for my mother's memorial quilt is charmy looking. I just cut 6" squares of her clothes and I'm putting them together pretty randomly, kinda like a scrappy 9 patch, but the center of each 9 patch is a center piece or some type of specific print from one of the clothes she wore....I have memories in every piece, but I have centerpieces too.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 AM

My sister-in-law had someone make a teddybear from her dads jean jacket (Ihad embroidered "guy things" on and one of his golf shirts. the lady made 3 different bears from the same items. So when my dad passed away in November, i got some of his ties and a pair of his dress pants and I'm going to make a bear for me. Maybe this is something that you could make for your neice if a quilt wasn't in order for her. Also its something to cuddle.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewmom
My sister-in-law had someone make a teddybear from her dads jean jacket (Ihad embroidered "guy things" on and one of his golf shirts. the lady made 3 different bears from the same items. So when my dad passed away in November, i got some of his ties and a pair of his dress pants and I'm going to make a bear for me. Maybe this is something that you could make for your neice if a quilt wasn't in order for her. Also its something to cuddle.
love this idea! :D