Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please - Pontiac Start Pattern directions >

Help Please - Pontiac Start Pattern directions

Help Please - Pontiac Start Pattern directions

Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Help Please - Pontiac Start Pattern directions

I have an unfinished quilt from a family member that is called Pontiac Star, I have 100 of the needed 132 blocks. The blocks are hand pieced and I need to make the additional 32. What I am looking for is a tutorial for how to make the star. I have made many quilts but none hand by hand and I have very limited experience with "Y" seams. I have searched, googled, and Youtubed but cannot seem to find any directions for this particular block. Honestly, last winter, I found a tutorial but did not not bookmark it and it seems to be gone to never, never land.

If you have a source for directions for this old traditional block, I would sure love some help. This gem will be gifted to the maker's son and his bride. It was started about 20 plus years ago. He has no idea that I have one of his mother's unfinished quilts, thus it is a wedding surprise.

Thank you for your help
Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

No idea if this is what you are looking for ... I just did a simple Google and found

http://fieldguidetoquilts.com/1Star/...SnowFlake.html

.... scroll down to see two possibilities, Pontiac Star and Michigan's Pontiac Star ...
Then click to a link with some variations.

Another option ... if you have 100 blocks already, then maybe not worry about the final 32.
That way it can be said that allt he blocks were made by his Mother.

A nice gesture for the Bride and Groom.

Otherwise, posting a photo is always best, as then we know "which" Pontiac Star you are ISO!
Old 08-21-2019, 05:03 PM

Just add borders or incorporate complimentary plain squares that will work into some logical format with the 100 you have to achieve the desired size.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 AM

Could you paper piece the additional blocks?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 AM

I found this on pinterest. Should be able to use graph paper to draw it up?
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/539517230352907849/

I assumed you meant Pontiac Star, not Start.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:42 AM

I never thought I would see a block named Pontiac. I live about 7 miles from Pontiac and the history of the native americans of the region is a familiar story to me. I grew up only one street over from Pontiac Trail. I suppose I should learn to make this block. I wish I could help you on this one but one thing I do know is I will take this to heart and learn to make it very soon.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:04 PM

You could use the blocks you have and add plain white blocks as signature blocks for guests at the wedding, making it an extra special quilt. Would you post pictures of the blocks and give us the size so we know what we are talking about?
Old 08-23-2019, 03:11 AM

Thank you for your input,, quilty friends. My goal is to complete the quilt as the groom's mother intended. I have begun putting the finished pieced together and it is lovely, I will post a photo when the rows are all sewn together. She was such a wonderful quilter and had such a gift of color. I have begun making the stars with some pieces that were cut but not assembled but goodness adding the background pieces is scaring the socks off me. Thank you all, again.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Thank you for your input,, quilty friends. My goal is to complete the quilt as the groom's mother intended. I have begun putting the finished pieced together and it is lovely, I will post a photo when the rows are all sewn together. She was such a wonderful quilter and had such a gift of color. I have begun making the stars with some pieces that were cut but not assembled but goodness adding the background pieces is scaring the socks off me. Thank you all, again.
So which pattern was it?