Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, please quilting pattern and best soft batting buy >

Help, please quilting pattern and best soft batting buy

Help, please quilting pattern and best soft batting buy

Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 AM

What size quilt are you planning to make & are you quilting it yourself (e.g., if it's a baby quilt or a lap quilt)?

For babies, you may not want to do with bamboo because I've read that once it's processed into batting, it's really truly "rayon", a synthetic fiber that can melt with fire which is considered unsafe for babies. That said, for art quilts or adult bed quilts, many quilters love cotton/bamboo blends because it gives some puffiness to the quilt while still being warm & breathable. For little ones, I always recommend 100% cotton batting. To get a puffier quilt, you can buy the new Warm & Plush batting. It is 50% fluffier than Warm & Natural/Warm & White.

If you are getting it quilted by a long-armer, they usually will provide the batting for you. And yes, some of them will only work with certain batts. I think that's because they know how to work with it to get the best results. One I spoke with had also designed some kind of contraption to load the roll of batting onto the long arm machine so it would go from one quilt to the next with almost no waste.

Last edited by Bree123; 08-29-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I agree with talking to your longarmer before purchasing batting. You also need to find out how big she wants your backing to be; some require larger excess backing than others. You also need to talk to him/her about the pattern, as he/she may have quilted other log cabins and have some suggestions. Not to mention that cost will vary depending on whether the longarmer freearms, uses a robot, or something in-between. Custom quilting patterns will cost more than pantographs, for instance.

I do not use bamboo batting because most of it is created with processing that uses highly toxic chemicals (toxic to both humans and the environment).

For softness and warmth, wool batting is preferred by many for bed quilts. Cotton is traditional and another good choice.

For baby quilts, cotton is a traditional choice that is also very good; however, if you are a new quilter accustomed to modern-day comforters, you may think that cotton is too flat for the look you are expecting. If you want more of a puffy look, Hobbs 80/20 is primarily cotton but with a little more loft than 100% cotton. If you don't mind synthetic, Hobbs PolyDown is a polyester that provides a lot of loft and softness and dries quickly in the dryer (which some mothers prefer to the slower drying time of cotton).
Old 08-29-2015, 12:53 PM

My favorite soft, warm batting is wool Quilter's Dream. Washable and wonderful.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:23 PM

I agree with checking with your LA'r, but personally I love the Hobbs, 80/20, so soft, and the quilt has such a nice drape to it if not over-quilted!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 AM

Location: In a lovely lakeside community in the foothills of the Ozark Mtns.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I will contact the my LA to help me decide. Hopefully I can post my finished product before long
Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM

For the first time I recently used a 100% wool batting I found on sale at Hobby Lobby. I quilted it myself on my regular machine. It turned out really nice and g-daughter loved the softness for her new baby. My question is this wool batting something available in most shops? I had never seen it before.