help please -thin inserted border technique

help please -thin inserted border technique

Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM

Here is the post I used.
Tip for Making Very Narrow Border or Sashing
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jeaniedrain View Post
I have done this on a recent quilt. You cut a strip 1" and sew 1/2" seam to the outside border then attach to quilt body/inside border with the 1/4" seam. This leaves 1/4" skinny border showing. It lays flat so when it is quilted your sewing foot will not hang in a flange.
AlisonQuilts ... that's what I do too. I've also found it helps to starch the fabric first, then cut the 1" and fold and press. Helps keep it straight and stable when I put it on the quilt. Then stitch it on outside the seam allowance. And add on whatever border or binding comes next. Keep in mind, that it lays on top of what is already there .... you need "white space" ... otherwise it chops off those perfect points or if you have a visual where it needs to remain visible for the full width, it's gone. Adjustments could be done to allow for that ... but sometimes I've got the brainwave to do the flange border, and it's way too late to do so!

**sits and ponders**
**wondering what masterpiece AlisonQuilts is creating**
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 AM

I like this look. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone! I tried a modified version (no flange) by sewing the 1" strip on with a 1/2" seam allowance, then pressed it back over itself (so its second raw edge lined up with the original border edge) and then sewed my second border on with a normal 1/4" seam allowance. It worked, although I couldn't figure out a good way to sew the mitres at the corners, and will go back later to hand sew those.

QuiltE - the thing I am working on is a "use up the orphanned blocks" project about which I have very mixed feelings. I am hoping someone at my next craft fair will love it...The pinwheel blocks are from "Vivacious Curvy Quilts" by Dianne Hire. The setting is my own.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409126[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]409127[/ATTACH]

Alison
Attached Thumbnails skinny-border.jpg   skinny-border-close-up.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

That looks good what you have done! A fun little wall hanging for someone who wants a dash of colour.
Good new technique that you've created there!
As for the mitres, I usually overlay the pieces and either leave them squared, or turn in the mitre corners and let them flap in the breeze! I figure it's so tiny, that any extra hand stitching I do, would probably ruin the effect, more than letting them go au naturel!!!

Looking forward to seeing more of what your do in your use-up-the-orphan-spree!!
Another idea oprhan-user-upper ... check out this link
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t219542.html
Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 PM

I also spoke abut a flange in the binding.i prefer to just add the flange not the binding but you can make a binding which includes a flange. There is a tutorial somewhere. Something like 17/8 inches joined to 11/2 inches this will nmakev2andhalf border by folding in half the larger one makes the flange. Machine onto the back and turn to front supposed to machine on the join. Also put all seams into. Flange.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Look at the Quilting Gourmet on YouTube: How to insert a narrow flange. It's wonderful.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I also spoke abut a flange in the binding.i prefer to just add the flange not the binding but you can make a binding which includes a flange. There is a tutorial somewhere. Something like 17/8 inches joined to 11/2 inches this will nmakev2andhalf border by folding in half the larger one makes the flange. Machine onto the back and turn to front supposed to machine on the join. Also put all seams into. Flange.
I made a mistake putting. In a narrow border of an inch. Seam to big so folded over and made a very narrow flange.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg