Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please! Used wrong adhesive; stained precious quilt! >

Help please! Used wrong adhesive; stained precious quilt!

Help please! Used wrong adhesive; stained precious quilt!

Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Help please! Used wrong adhesive; stained precious quilt!

Hi All! This is my first post, and I am in dire need of your wisdom! Please help if you can.

Ultimately, I made a huge mistake. I made this quilt for my baby daughter, but as I was nearing the end and was making the "quilt sandwich," to prepare for machine quilting, I ran out of my normal adhesive. So, I supplemented with a HORRIBLE adhesive which, although it said it was safe for fabric, has caused me so much grief! As my daughter used the quilt, the adhesive began getting very dark-looking and dirty under the fabric. In addition, it feels stiff and crunchy in those areas. I washed it and it only got worse.

Other complicating factors:

a) I used 100% wool batting, so that may affect which cleansers I can use.
b) I did extensive hand-embroidery around the borders (an e.e. cummings poem), so I can't easily rip it apart and save the quilt top.

This was a gift for my daughter's birthday, very large, and very precious to her! I am hoping that you wise people might have some ideas for me. I am desperate to salvage it if possible. I gratefully welcome any suggestions! Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails img_7672.jpg   img_7664.jpg   img_7671.jpg   img_7665.jpg   img_7667.jpg  

img_7669.jpg   img_7670.jpg  
Old 11-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Yikes! The scrunchy is an issue I don't think I can solve and I think the fabric is indeed stained -- hopefully someone will come up with a better answer than this.

The best fix I can think of for this is to use a piece of nice quality bridal illusion veil (or maybe a wavy organza or similar) or lace or both. You don't want the heavy coarse tulle, you want veiling or a very thin lace that feels nice to touch. You'd put it over the discolored areas and then add some extra decorative stitching to hold it down. I'd quilt it through but it can be done just top layer by hand.

For the non-embroidered area, you can applique in a piece if you have any left, or this is where I would bring in the lace, I'd cut it along its design units, overlapping the illusion veil part if possible, as a large-ish free form applique if not.

You can help balance out the cover up by doing a similar thing in the opposite corner.

And when all else fails, you remind both yourself and your daughter that you love each other despite each other's faults. It was made with love and it will warm her with love, and together you can rise above this error... but I know the sick feeling when you open up the washer and the project is awful. This is not awful, I think it can be and is worth saving!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-09-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

There should be a phone number on that can. I would call them and ask is it an adhesive that says it is permanent when dry? Hopefully the company can tell you how to remove it. That is really unfortunate
did it become ( crunchy) after you washed it? You might have no choice but to remove the backing and batting and replace them. Grandma’s Spot Remover or Quilt Wash might help with the top after replacing the backing and batting
Old 11-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Unfortunately this is a permanent adhesive. Even though it says repositionable I believe that means while you are using it. Once cured and dried it will not wash away like normal spray basting adhesives. The "safe for fabrics" is more for making repairs to upholstery in areas that won't be seen or washed. Here is a link to the technical data sheet that contains an 800 number and email you can try contacting them but I am afraid there is nothing that can be done at this stage to salvage the quilt. https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/TDS-2235316-US-Loctite-General-Performance-100-Spray-Adhesive-Spray-Can-13.5-oz-2017-11-30pdf

Old 11-09-2019, 02:51 PM

It just makes me so sad to see this. Such a precious quilt. I would have to try to take the top off and then re-do the embroidery if it can't be salvaged. The crunching and the thought of the chemicals in there would really bother me. Another reason I pin baste only.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

I just googled how to remove Loctite spray adhesive from fabric and maybe one of those suggestions wouldn't harm your quilt and might help. Also, what about a dry cleaner? Maybe they have an antidote. Good luck with it. It's a beautiful quilt.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:05 PM

I really can't tell from the photos if the adhesive was used for the entire quilt or just the one edge of it. My thought in addition to some already mentioned, is that you could just add another backing to it to cover the stained area on the backing....and maybe if you can't fix it ….could any of the quilt be salvaged? Maybe make a smaller quilt out of it for her "dollie" and work on another one for her as she is getting to be a "big girl"? Just some thoughts. I don't use spray adhesive either....but it is because I have asthma. hope it works out. Lin
Old 11-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Oh no, Whitney! That is a beautiful quilt and adding poetry by e.e.cummings! Wow.
I don't know what to tell you but I feel bad for you.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:26 PM

so sorry this happened. I have used Loctite for putting car headliner in--it's permanent unfortunately.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I only use large safety pins to sandwich my quilts.

Your top is beautiful, great colors.