Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please!: What Size Should I Cut My Scraps?

Blog Entries
    Hi, I am a newbie quilter so I need your voices of experience. I have finally begun to organize my stash and now have a large pile of small fabric pieces ranging from a few inches to about 12" wide. I can't bear to throw them out, and would like to cut them into strips or squares and organize them by color. I heard on Fons & Porter that they like to cut their scraps into 6" and 2-1/2" strips. Does this sound like a good plan? Or...are there better or easier options? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Banned
    I cut a lot of 2.5 x 6 for scrap braid quilts and you can cut 2.5 x 4.5 and make split decision blocks.

I don't cut up my scraps. Because I never know what I am going to use them for in the future.

I would leave them whatever size they are and just sort by color until I picked a pattern and knew what sizes to cut them in.

If you want you can look thru the scrappy patterns at www.quiltville.com and see if there are any you'd like to start saving and cutting scraps for now.

Unless you know exactly what you're going to need in the future, you may want to wait on the scrap cutting. :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    I don't cut up my scraps. Because I never know what I am going to use them for in the future.
    Ditto

Blog Entries

Power Poster
    I've been working on using up my scraps. I had a pattern in mind before I started. I did the first star quilt out of mostly 3 1/2 inch squares. That used up my bigger pieces. Then I cut the rest into 2 1/2 inch strips to add to my Spiderweb scrap quilt that I am currently working on. It is the pattern by Bonnie Hunter off of www.quiltville.com. I am in no hurry, I just add more scraps to my scrap container as I finish other projects. My Spiderweb pile of blocks is getting bigger but it doesn't seem like my scrap container is getting any lower.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Wow, she has quite a lot of scraps and her work is beautiful! My scraps would only fill one or two of her drawers since I am just getting started. It looks like I need to think this through. Maybe I should just cut strips as wide as possible and go from there. Thanks for the link.

Blog Entries
    I have some of my strip scraps in one drawer ~ for that day when I do a strip quilt. Then smallish scraps in drawer #2, bigger scraps in a tub (smaller than a FQ). Unfortunately, all of these are not sorted by color :? :shock: So I have to sort or paw thru when I work on a scrap quilts.

Also check out http://quiltville.com/, Bonnie Hunter shares her method of organizing scraps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I would leave them whatever size they are and just sort by color until I picked a pattern and knew what sizes to cut them in.

If you want you can look thru the scrappy patterns at www.quiltville.com and see if there are any you'd like to start saving and cutting scraps for now.
    I am hearing a lot about quiltville. Sounds like a popular site. I need to spend some time at that link. THANKS!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

I am hearing a lot about quiltville. Sounds like a popular site. I need to spend some time at that link. THANKS!
    :oops: I had put quiltville's link site in wrong... was editing when you posted :oops:

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Ditto
    me, too

I dont cut my scraps either. I just fold them and sort them by color if they are to small to fold i stack them neatly with the folded fabric, put into totes by color.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Thank you for the great scrap site!! Aren't her quilts great??? :)

If I love the fabric or know that I will use for applique or piecing, then I keep it in the scrap bin. The rest I cut into 2.5" strips and squares and other sizes - pretty much Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville sizes. I do have bricks-3.5" X 6.5" for fun scrappy quilts. Small pieces are cut into rectangles for sewing to adding machine tape for scrappy border and then there are the postage size pieces. It may depend on your space for storing them and then if you actually will use those cut pieces. You may change your mind as you develop your style of quilting.

Banned
    i don't cut until I need them.

Blog Entries
    Ditto!!

Blog Entries
    Wow, she has quite a lot of scraps and her work is beautiful! My scraps would only fill one or two of her drawers since I am just getting started. It looks like I need to think this through. Maybe I should just cut strips as wide as possible and go from there. Thanks for the link.
    don't put it off too long - scraps start to build up pretty fast. (I hear they multiply if left in the dark). I also use the Bonnie Hunter system. If under a yard, I cut FQs first, then if anything remains I cut what I can using this priority system: First a 5 x wof strip , second a 2.5xwof strip. If I can't get WOF then I cut 2.5 squares, 3.0 squares and 3.5 squares. I figure the WOF strips can become borders or sashing (the 5.0 can be cut into 2.5 later if I need it) or the 5 x wof can become charms or the 2.5 strip can become more 2.5 squares. I am eagerly awaiting the moment when I make a whole quilt and didn't have to cut anything!!! Another suggestion is to look at your collection of patterns you want to make in this lifetime and see what size pieces they require.

Blog Entries
    I cut mine into biggest usable square, stripe, or rectangle. Left overs are then placed into leftover bag for stuffing fabric toys for gifting.

I don't pre- cut all of my scraps but I do have 2 boxes, one for suitable D9P blocks and the other is for 3" wide strips for borders on a till roll, which I found on this forum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia
    don't put it off too long - scraps start to build up pretty fast. (I hear they multiply if left in the dark). I also use the Bonnie Hunter system. If under a yard, I cut FQs first, then if anything remains I cut what I can using this priority system: First a 5 x wof strip , second a 2.5xwof strip. If I can't get WOF then I cut 2.5 squares, 3.0 squares and 3.5 squares. I figure the WOF strips can become borders or sashing (the 5.0 can be cut into 2.5 later if I need it) or the 5 x wof can become charms or the 2.5 strip can become more 2.5 squares. I am eagerly awaiting the moment when I make a whole quilt and didn't have to cut anything!!! Another suggestion is to look at your collection of patterns you want to make in this lifetime and see what size pieces they require.
    Great feedback! You sound like you have planned ahead. I just want to get my scraps into some kind of organization. I hate looking at the bag overflowing with pieces and threads.

Junior Member The Ivory Thimble's Avatar
    This is a great quilt to knock out all those odd shaped squares and strips!
    http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/200...ute-quilt.html

Same here.

Also, if you're thinking that you'd like to make a scrap quilt at some point, it might be helpful to just sort them into lights and darks. Many scrap quilts rely on value, rather than color, for their design- this will also make storage easier!

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    I don't cut mine up either..I love to do hand applique so never know exactly what size I will need for the pieces...crafty_linda_b

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast