Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with putting triangles together >

Help with putting triangles together

Help with putting triangles together

Old 01-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Default Help with putting triangles together

I can't get them to line up properly in the middle ... HELP!!!! I've taken them apart twice ... they are PERFECTLY lined up until I sew them together and then it bunches in the middle

I've sewn in in two rows ... could that be the problem? I'm using a 1/4 inch seam

Here's what it's supposed to look like LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540231[/ATTACH]

And this is what I am getting when I sew them together

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540232[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540233[/ATTACH]

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails img_0372.jpg   img_0379.jpg   img_0380.jpg  
Old 01-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

When I cut pieces for Triangle Frenzies, I try not to have any line design to connect in the centers. the only thing I can think of is to cut them a little smaller so there is just the black in the center? Maybe some one who has done a lot can give you better ideas.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:19 PM

So I just did the pink flower ones, and I'm getting the same thing ... I'm not get "triangles" joining in the middle???
Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 PM

I just zoomed in on your cutwork & I think that might be where the issue lies. With this type of design, you have to be sure to find the repeat in the fabric & line your template up with the exact same place on the repeat every single time. It is insanely difficult to do on a busy fabric, but that's the trick. It's obvious even on the cut pieces in the middle, but where it's really clear is on the outermost design. The leaves should be the same exact leaves in each section to pull off the design. Unfortunately, the only suggestion I have other than re-cutting your fabric is to just add a small bit of applique in the center -- maybe cut out a small leaf or flower from any remnant you have & make it like a broderie perse design.

Here's a tutorial from Jinny Beyer about how to cut the pieces out for this type of design:
https://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-...A40E37C3DAFFCD
Old 01-15-2016, 04:49 PM

Bree - thanks for the input, but I'm more concerned that it's all bunchy in the middle - it's like a huge whack of fabric and I don't know how to "unbunch" it ... that's one of the things - the other is ... I'm not getting "triangles" the meet in the middle ... they're more like rectangles ... do I make sense??

It's almost as if I didn't have to have 1/4 inch seam everything would line it ... but as soon as I sew it together it's all bunchy in the middle

I've given up for the night LOL ... I'll see what other ideas pop up in the morning.

Thanks all
Old 01-15-2016, 04:56 PM

If all else fails, applique a small leaf over the center and don't tell anyone it wasn't part of the original plan!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
Bree - thanks for the input, but I'm more concerned that it's all bunchy in the middle - it's like a huge whack of fabric and I don't know how to "unbunch" it ... that's one of the things - the other is ... I'm not getting "triangles" the meet in the middle ... they're more like rectangles ... do I make sense??

It's almost as if I didn't have to have 1/4 inch seam everything would line it ... but as soon as I sew it together it's all bunchy in the middle

I've given up for the night LOL ... I'll see what other ideas pop up in the morning.

Thanks all
The prints that are coming out like rectangles are due to not cutting repeats. The bunching isn't obvious from the photos. You will have a lot of fabric in the center from all those points, but one thing that's tricky with these designs is that you are working on the bias for every seam. Personally, I struggle a lot with that so I usually end up creating paper foundations to help give it some extra stability while I am sewing -- I have used craft paper on occasion because it is nice & big, but just taping together computer paper works fine. I know other quilters who use either wash-away or tear-away stabilizer & mark their design on those before piecing. Barring that, you can use a huge amount of starch to help keep the fabric from moving or stretching out of shape while you are piecing. Or you can grab a marker & actually draw your 1/4" seam right on your fabrics.

I've totally had that exact problem when piecing together a project for a beta class on iQuilt. I'd swear that I had accurate 1/4" seams. I'd measure them. I still can't completely explain it to this day, but after 4 attempts & way too much wasted fabric, I ended up creating my own foundation & doing it that way. Turned out perfect every time. And after that, I went back to my beloved applique. Way too much frustration for me! Good luck!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

Do you mean you have a lump where all the triangle tips meet? It is the same as 8 point star centers, you stop right at the 1/4 inch mark at the tip and you do not sew off the edge. This allows you to swirl the seam allowances on the back to get a flatter look. As for matching in the center, try matching them with a pin or a drop of Elmer's washable glue before sewing them.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:25 PM

With a Stack 'n' Whack you have the same problem. I found it was easier to start the seam at the tip, at the middle points. I put my needle down carefully by hand right in the spot that is the start of the seam, then hold the threads and start sewing. They certainly weren't all perfect, but with all those beautiful kaleidoscopes, it is not so noticeable.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
If all else fails, applique a small leaf over the center and don't tell anyone it wasn't part of the original plan!
My thoughts, too!!