Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help With Quilt Design >

Help With Quilt Design

Help With Quilt Design

Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 AM

Default Help With Quilt Design

In the Scrappy Quilt Show thread a member posted two of her lovely quilts. I've written to her and have no response, she doesn't post often and may be busy with life. So I thought someone might recognize the pattern, if it might be a stand alone pattern or in a book. It looks so familiar but these days my memory is getting worser and worser :0)

Here is a link to the thread page, it's post #2348, http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...35936-118.html the second quilt she has posted. It appears to be maybe flannel, the pieces are all bordered in black.

Any info would be so helpful as I'd like to utilize a tote full of colorful scraps this way.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 AM

There is a free pattern some place out there for that one. I'm not able to check at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I printed it out. Hopefully someone can come up with the link for you.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:18 AM

That block is much easier than it looks – it consists of rectangles (the focus fabric) and black strips on two opposing sides. So let's say your focus block is 6"x4", and then you add 1" black to either side (I'm talking finished here, not allowing for seam allowances). You'd have a 6" square. Make two of them and set them side by side, placing one fabric focus vertical and one horizontal. Since they are both squares, they should match up nicely. The rectangular focus fabric only makes it look like the blocks are different sizes. Hope that makes sense!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:23 AM

I have a pattern similar that I think is called "Over and Under"

The done I have is Designed by Paula Hughes I found the cover picture but not the rest of the pattern, yet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151372259205?lpid=82

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 09-11-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

a helpful hint... to post a link to a specific post, click on the post # and the url is changed to that specific post. just copy and paste that. the thread name will still look the same, but clicking on it will take you directly to the post. here is the link for that post http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post6874748
Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Thank-you everyone for the information. I think that willferg I get what you are saying I'm going to try a couple of sample blocks to see if I do 'get' it. :0) I don't have the 'eye' to see patterns like you obviously do, I guess that is why I'm pattern dependent.

I appreciate everyone's input and links to the pattern on eBay.

QuiltnNan, now if only I remember your hint the next time, it's that memory thing again.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 AM

Hope this helps more – feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions![ATTACH=CONFIG]491288[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-block-layout.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I have been wanting to make what is called Strip Tube piecing. I don't think that the quilter had any pattern in mind but just sewed a lot of strips together. You just have to decide how large of the blocks you want to make. They are really just simple HST. I Google STRIP TUBE PIECING and this PDF file had simple instructions. This technique using jelly roll strips but as in the photo of Scrappy Quilt show, she just used a variety of skinnier strips.

https://www.cozyquilt.com/PDFs/STRBonusGuide.pdf