Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with a quilt >

Help with a quilt

Help with a quilt

Old 01-28-2020, 11:49 AM

Unhappy Help with a quilt

I made a coin quilt with a pieced backing (random size pieces sewn together) about 10 years ago. It was the first quilt I learned to fmq on. But unfortunately I didn't get it quilted enough so the batting has shifted and or disappeared in places. The front is in excellent condition. Would it be worth taking the quilt apart and salvage the front with new batting and backing?
Old 01-28-2020, 12:21 PM

It would depend on how much stitching is involved. I have removed tons of stitching from a quilt (one that I didn't like when it was done), and it's not fun, but I was so much happier with the end result when I re-quilted it.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:46 PM

I would say yes if you love the top. Especially if you’re willing to sacrifice the current batting and backing.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:17 PM

If it were me I'd start from scratch and make a new one, but then I'm a lazy and wouldn't want to put in the work it would take to rip out all the FMQ. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:42 PM

I accept that quilts can be less than perfect and that they age with time, I rarely go back and do anything to any of my own projects. I can also accept that sometimes I take old tops from the thrift store and do things with them. Or, the quilt I made my hubby (we met on the internet, it was for before we were together) that he pretty much destroyed the vintage fabric I used for the back and simply quilted a new back with a different design over the whole thing.

Anyway, if the problem is that you only followed the grid of the squares something easy like that, sure you can take out the stitching if you want. Or... you can carefully lift up the fabric from the back, cut a slit in it and grab out as much of the bad batting as you can. You can then leave the fabric there or carefully snip around, leaving maybe 1/2" around the quilting lines. That's the solution I've found for 6-12" grid lines and baggy batting.

Then you can put on a fresh piece of batting along with a new back, just a back, or maybe just a layer of flannel in-between.

Sometimes all you can do with a well loved quilt is use it as batting for the next one, but you do need to deal with the lump factor and in your case your top is still worth working on/keeping it going in the future.

I don't generally use old quilts as batting but I have more than once especially when taking a cherished blanky and incorporating it hidden into an adult top or for other sentimental/personal reasons. It's still there, our little secret just the quilter and the recipient need to know.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:53 PM

I have several quilts to pick apart right now that I feel are worth the work while there are 3 others that are not worth the effort. What I have decided to do with those is cut them down and make them in to charity for an animal shelter.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I thought the same as Iceblossom.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

If it was a quilt I really liked I would take it apart.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

If you take it apart and use new batting and backing. I think you would like it better.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:01 PM

only you can answer if it's worth your time. There is a way to "skin" the quilting stitches if you are not going to use the back/batting again. Get a beard razor--they are disposable and you find them at drug stores, long handle and a blade on the end. First take off the binding, then working from the back, pull the backing up and start "razoring" through the thread. Goes pretty quick but you won't be able to use the back/bat again.