Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Quilting Room Design Thoughts? >

Help with Quilting Room Design Thoughts?

Help with Quilting Room Design Thoughts?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM

I just redid my 12' x 20' sewing room, and painted the walls a mocha/latte color - not dark. But so much more fun than white! My pictures just 'pop' against the color. All my furniture is white, and the floor a medium brown vinyl tile.
For my large 6' window I bought a dark brown bamboo patio shade - it was only $25 at Home Depot. I'm making curtains for the small windows in teal, lime green, lt and dark browns.
Have FUN with it....it is such a pleasure to be able to decorate a room that is JUST FOR YOU :thumbup:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 PM

I would paint the walls off white.
Remember that the sun travels in a east, south, west, direction.
Since the wall with the most windows faces east, you will only have light coming in from that direction in the morning. If you have room to put a sewing cabinet under the bank of windows, then you should place your machine there for taking advantage of the lighting. If you have enough room on the 13' wall that has the 2' window in the corner, than that wall should be your design wall. That way the afternoon light (from the south/west) will not be hitting your fabric on the design wall. The north wall with the door could get a bookcase or dresser. You didn't state if the west wall has a closet, but if so then you have storage for your future stash.

Congrats!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 AM

I have no input on layout, but with all those windows, reflected color off the walls isn't going to affect your color sense too much. In my last apartment, I had my sewing set up in a room that was painted a sort of olivey-yellow color. It was so bright and cheerful and I loved working in there. I had a large north-facing window and there was a lot of light spill from the next room which had a south-facing window.

So I would say pick a color that energizes you and makes you happy and have at it. :) I know I would never, ever want to work in a room painted white or beige. There's nothing inspiring about it.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 AM

If you are going to get a long arm it is going to have to go up against the wall and on the 13' length. You will not have much room for anything else.. My craft room is 11' square and I have a 10' frame up on one side of it. It is a cramped room but it suits me fine...

Not having a closet is a downer. You won't have much area to store fabric - unless you store it under the longarm in boxes which won't be fun but it's doable.

I like color. My walls are a creamy color and I hate it. I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a bunch of wall stickers - the removable kind know what I mean? and I jazzed it up a bit. It helps but it isn't perfect.

You'll love your own sewing area no matter what you do with it :)
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 AM

How exciting to have your own space and windows for the perfect light. My solution for the light fading your stash is to find an armour or a tv cabinet (folks are getting rid of these because the new tv's will not fit. I found one at a thrift shop for $80.00 solid cherry. For my cutting table I have a rolling kitchen island with drawers (for rotary cutter) and shelves for rulers. It is nice to roll to the area I am working or put it out of the ways when not in use. Something I want when I get a bigger area is a table to layout quilts for trimming and when a friend wants to come over to quilt. This is soo much fun dreaming of our ideal quilting areas. Good luck and enjoy..
Old 06-24-2011, 04:28 AM

Good luck on putting in the offer on the house!

Depending on the LA you decide to go with you may not have the room for it. A standard table is 12 feet... so you really dont have any room to move around at all. You want to have clearance on either side of hte table so that you can go to the back or front of the machine.
Mid arm may be better as their tables are normally smaller.

My sewing room is a pale yellow colour but I have the wall stickers on 1 wall as well. You may also want to take the time if you get the place to make 1 wall a design wall. it's so HANDY!
Good luck!