Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help with Scrap Double irish chain

I am working on a scrap double Irish chain, anything I need to keep in mind? With the alternate block, with the sqaures in the corners, should I always make them the same? Thank you in advance for any help and tips.

The Irish Chain is on my to do list! Sorry I don't have any tips for you!

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    I think I would make them all different, but use dark scraps for the center lines and ligher ones for the outside, plus the 4 corner squares in the alternate block, or the opposite, light and then dark. I think if the rest of it is scrappy, but the alternate block is constant, it would draw your eye to just that part, know what I mean? I'm by no means an expert, but that's how I personally would do it :)

My quilt group did a mystery quilt which turned out to be an Irish chain - the blocks need to have a lot of contrast so the "chain" is very visible. Hope this is helpful!
    Barb

The contrast is important or you lose the Irish chain look. If you just do a bunch of different colors it will look like a scrappy quilt.

I think Bonnie at Quiltville.com has a scrappy irish chain, that would be the only help I could be, since my irish chain isn't scrappy. Hope this helps.

I think scrappy Irish chains look nice if the center fabric is one color scheme and a lighter tone. It can still be scrappy just needs to look very similar.