Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Scrappy Quilt >

Help Scrappy Quilt

Help Scrappy Quilt

Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 AM

Default Help Scrappy Quilt

I am new to quilting and my boyfriend got patches from Ebay (2")

I thought Id make a scrap quilt as a practice project to learn since they are small

My? I have sewn 6" strips of patches can I cut and make long narrow strips of material to insert between rows of patches ?

Boyfriend will learn to ask before buying. Lol
Old 04-27-2015, 04:50 AM

Absolutely! String them together to make a longer strip and use as sashing.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Would like to see a photo. It is hard to say without seeing what your pattern or idea is. Since he bought them, ask him. My best friend helps me pick out fabrics when he takes me to a quilt store.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:57 AM

Honey, it's your quilt. You can do anything you want. I just saw a top that had small 4patch blocks alternated with whole blocks and it was really cute. If you end up sewing strips of fabric together, just remember to alternate the diection of the seams. If you sew them all in one direction, your top could end up as a curve instead of square.

Btw, hang on to that BF. He sounds like a keeper if he's willing to help your interest in quilting!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:05 AM

If I understand your question, you are asking if you can sew solid strips of fabric between your 6" rows of patches? Yes, the solid strips are called sashing. The can be any width, but since you are a beginner, don't make them too narrow. I would suggest you first sew 4 or 6 of your patched strips together to make a rectangle or square, a bigger block to work with. Then cut 2 1/2" wide strips of your solid fabric to use as sashing between your patched blocks. It may be easiest for you to build your quilt one row at a time: sew one patch block to a solid strip, repeating till you get the width you want. Then add one long solid 2 1/2" solid strip as sashing to the bottom of that row to create the sashing between the rows. Keep adding rows till you have the Length you want. Have fun!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:06 AM

Hello, welcome to the board and this fun craft/hobby/addiction. Yes, mix those squares however you would like; add long strips of another fabric in between rows; cut to various lengths. It is great to have such a nice boyfriend and great to practice on scrappy squares.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

You sure can, then you will have designed your own unique quilt! Your boyfriend sounds very supportive. A real keeper.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:29 AM

I'll add my WELCOME to the others here....and as has been already said - the answer is yes to the strips in between. I've got a scrap quilt in process that i'm doing exactly that with....with plans to do an applique flower vine in the solid strip.
The possibilities are only limited by your imagination......ok.....and maybe the laws of physics a little!!
I'll also add my kudos to your boyfriend for making such a sweet gesture to support you.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

A lot of things are possible with the squares, only limited by your imagination.