Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Seam Rippers

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    :? Hi all need your help. What is it with seam rippers. I want to get a new one. The price I see is from $1.79 to $24.99. What is the difference? Don't they all just rip seams. I know some have mag. on them, some have lights. The ones I am talking about are just regular rippers. The one I have now has a sharp end and the other end has a round ball. Does the ball go between the fabric and the seam? Sounds dumb I know but.....

Blog Entries
    There are better seam rippers out there...I have a Clover that folds in half and I love it, it has a nice fine blade for ripping out stitches. I also have a couple of bigger "brutes" that I paid alot for, but, are not near as sharp and seem to be a bit bulkier to handle.

I use the cheap Wal Mart kind. Works great.

I like the little white ones that came with my Janomes. I even purchased one from my dealer after I broke one (stepped on it with shoes on). Sometimes I wouldn't mind a better handle though.

i like the clover handle bigger than most-- also it is sharp--i watched a fellow quilter unsewing a long seam once she got a couple of inches going then she pinned one end to her machine cover used it like a third hand--i have copied this several times since--i think i have mentioned i have a degree in unsewing !!!

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/seamripper.htm This is the one that I have used for the last 3 years, and it is still lovely n sharp, wouldn't be without it. Definitely worth the few extra pennies :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK
    :? Hi all need your help. What is it with seam rippers. I want to get a new one. The price I see is from $1.79 to $24.99. What is the difference? Don't they all just rip seams. I know some have mag. on them, some have lights. The ones I am talking about are just regular rippers. The one I have now has a sharp end and the other end has a round ball. Does the ball go between the fabric and the seam? Sounds dumb I know but.....
    first = the razor portion of all of them is about the same and like all cutting tools, they go dull after a while = since I like sharp ones, I buy cheap and replace every couple of years. I do like ones with a larger handle because I have large hands. Also - I never thought about putting the ball end between the seam and the fabric, I just figured that the ball was to keep me from piercing the fabric from that end of the moon shaped blade...a safety thing.

Speaking of Seam Rippers, didn't someone (a long time ago) give instructions for sharpening a seam ripper? I don't mind getting new ones, but never seem to remember to buy one, then when ripping, wish I had!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I always prefer the seam rippers from Clover, either the brown flat ones or the white round-handle ones.
    They have the smallest point for getting into tiny/close together stitches and have the sharpest edge, in my opinion

I have several in various locations. They are replaced a couple times a year, just like replacing needles and rotary blades, for best effect. I buy them 2-3 at a time when I can find them on sale or at a good price. They are my favorite stocking stuffer.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/seamripper.htm This is the one that I have used for the last 3 years, and it is still lovely n sharp, wouldn't be without it. Definitely worth the few extra pennies :thumbup:
    This is the one that I use as well. I like the way it feels in my hand and the sharp end seems to be the right size and shape. I'm thnking about getting a couple more so I can keep one with the sewing machine I take to classes and have an extra one.

the best seam ripper Ive ever had is Havels......... it has replaceable blades and works great. I use it for everything, including frogging out longarm stitching!

Blog Entries
    I have one with replaceable blades too. I use it all the time (unfortunately), blade is super sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    the best seam ripper Ive ever had is Havels......... it has replaceable blades and works great. I use it for everything, including frogging out longarm stitching!
    Oh, I agree! The Havel's pro seam ripper is one of the best tools I have. Super sharp and the shape of the blade is great.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=281

Blog Entries
    Clover and Fons and Porter makes very sharp seam rippers. I have lots of those to take to classes and sewdays because they are easy to replace. I use the best seam rippers for home. Gingher surgical seam ripper is my favorite. It opens a seam like a zipper. Once you use a super sharp seam ripper the cheap ones will be like cutting with a dull rotary blade. I don't understand having just one seam ripper.

(In reference to the seam ripper with blades)

I think I'd be afraid to use that one. Looks scary!

I use the Havel's as well and love it. Even worked on ripping out PPing stitches.

I have one like the Havel's but not that brand. I know I paid less than $3 for it. I had a tiny little one with the same type replaceable blade that I got at a quilt show like this one: http://www.getcreativeshow.com/shirl...#Seam%20Ripper but it's so small I can't find it! I like the longer handle on the Havel type but my little one was good, too. I damage the fabric more with the other type ripper than the tiny razor blade type.

Blog Entries
    When instructing young 4-Hers I told them a seamstress (quilter) is only as good as the # of seam rippers he/she has! Made them feel better about making mistakes. I must have 4 or 5 laying around everywhere! LOL. One of my criteria is get one that has a flt side--that way it won't roll away from you!

I would like one of the ones with the lite.

Blog Entries
    The one I had with the light wasn't very sharp and it was heavy.

That is my favorite as well. I was introduced to them in a class on reverse applique where we used them as cutting tools.

I have one of those. I think I bought for taking out embroidery stitches. It is a little scary at times, and I don't use it when my hands are acting 'sloppy.' I have some nerve problems and get cramping and dropsy on occasion. :( It is a great tool for serious stitch removal though.

So interesting ladies. Never thought about different seam rippers. Thanks for the info.

I just purchased a Clover seam ripper - brown handle for $3.40 from a quilt store. The people in the BOM club say it's the best one out there. So I'm giving it a try.

Blog Entries
    When I notice that it's getting difficult to 'RIP' the thread on a seam, I know it's time for a new ripper.

The inexpensive ones are fine with me. I prefer a slightly bigger one when I'm at home...they don't get lost that easily.

Ohhh......I do have at least 4 around the house !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast