Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with sewing machine >

Help with sewing machine

Help with sewing machine

Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 AM

Not sure, but I'd try:
The first two up arrows are to select the stitch, those numbers being 2 digits.
On the round area with directional arrows: the side ones are for stitch width? and the up and down ones are for stitch length.

You really won't hurt the machine by playing around with it as long as you have the wide holed needle plate on the machine, as the single holed plate would break your needles as you change stitches.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM

I am 57 years old and for the past 26 years I have been Bipolar, and have been on anti depressants the whole time. My IQ is not at all where it was before I got sick. I didn't want to ask my husband because I didn't want him to feel bad that he bought the wrong one. Yes, Sweet Caroline, I did learn how to use a computer, lets just say I am not a computer whiz.
Anyway, I would like to thank all of you for your advise, hopefully, I will understand it. I am sorry for posting something that was very dumb. If you want me to leave the group I will.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Scuddles, there are NO dumb questions ever. Keep asking your questions and we will help you along. Don't even think about leaving the group, you will find that the people on this board are the most encouraging and helpful folks ever, ever, ever.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Scuddles, there are NO dumb questions ever. Keep asking your questions and we will help you along. Don't even think about leaving the group, you will find that the people on this board are the most encouraging and helpful folks ever, ever, ever.
I SO agree with Caroline S - there are NO dumb questions and this board is a great place to learn and get advice! Just a heads up - sometimes there is loads of advice - lol!! We all had to learn and all have different skills. Keep the questions coming - we will have up sewing up a storm before you know it.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 AM

to scuddles: You are not dumb to ask queations about sewing machines here. If you are just learning to sew and "quilt" your husband got you a perfectly adequate machine. To make a quilt you only need a machine to sew forward. The fancy stitches are fun but totally not necessary. I learned to sew 55 years ago on a singer that only sewed forward. To backtac
at the beginning and end of a seam I turned the item around. I sewed a lot of clothing for myself, and for friends. Over the years I have upgraded to more advanced mashines as I fund what I wanted on sale, etc. I now have two
viking machines with all the bells and whistles including embroidery.
When I worked for Viking in a JoAnn store location I noticed that many even experienced seamstresses panic at new machines. I strongly advise you to find a beginning quilt class at a good quilt store. That way you will learn the basics of what you need to do to make a quilt. I also suggest starting with something easy like a small lap size.
Go to Quilts for Kids online and request a kit. They will send you a complete kit to make a simple, small quilt to be given to a child who is hospitalized with a serious illness. All you have to provide is batting and backing fabric, and of course the labor to sew it all together, then postage to return the finished quilt to them.
Good luck and enjoy your new machine.

Last edited by peacebypiece; 08-25-2013 at 07:29 AM.