Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Square (Diamond) in a Square >

Help! Square (Diamond) in a Square

Help! Square (Diamond) in a Square

Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'm currently working on a quilt that has about 100 of them - what I've found, you must make sure your starting square is the correct size - right now I'm doing 48 that are 2.5" (finish at 2") and the start block is 1 7/8".

For your triangles, cut a square and then cut diagonal so that your finished edges are not on the bias.

Press so you have the center marked (I finger press) and sew apposing sides, making sure you have point of the triangle at the center - press and repeat for the other two sides.

When you go to trim, find teh center on your ruler and line up the inner block. Since mine will be 2.5", I find the 1.25" line and put it so that it lines up with the corners of the INNER block. Then adjust it up/down and sideways so that you get 1/4" allowance past those corners. I've found if the inner block is slightly larger or smaller (like less than 1/8") I can adjust the ruler so that I've got the 1/4" seam allowance, and it's still OK. More than that and I have problems.

When you square it up, ignore where the points of the outer triangles are - concentrate on keeping the inner block centered. If you lined up your points, there should be enough fabric for easy trimming. If there is not, then cut your squares for the triangle a bit larger.

My number one problems I had at the start was not being extra careful to get perfectly straight seams, and then my inner square would end up not being quite square. I had to slow down and pay attention, especially at the ends of the seam, as that is where I'm most likely to let things slip a bit.

Also, when you press, be careful you don't stretch the ends. I find trimming the dog ears off the first set of triangles BEFORE I press helps a lot in keeping them from getting stretched in the pressing process.
Thank you - great tips! Deb Tucker'a video recommended having the back of the middle square facing up when sewing for better visibility of where the sewing line is. I am definitely going to cut up some scrap fabric and try, try, try again!!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Are you matching center points on both the inner square and added triangle section before sewing it? and Are you sewing opposite triangles first, then the other opposite triangles?
The directions I followed said to finger press and then match the point on the triangle to the fold on the inner square. I thought I was accurately doing this, but I guess I wasn't. And yes, I did sew on opposite triangles first.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I have not used it, but a friend uses the Deb Tucker ruler that does this - can't remember the name. But if you go go Studio180 or key in Deb Tucker rulers, you might be able to find it. She says it uses a little more fabric, then you trim the squares down to size, but she swears by them.....says they come out perfect! If nothing else, maybe you can view Deb Tucker videos for some hints.
I would look at the deb tucker rulers. They do work well
Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Jodi Barrows rulers are my suggestion. She has the square-in-a-square ruler as well as a diamond-in-square ruler. These rulers are for multiple sizes, not just one or two sizes. They can be a big help.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I agree with Nora. I am sold on anything created by Deb Tucker. She has two sizes. The big one is expensive, but it does blocks that finish in whole inches from 1 to 12, and can do nested SIS units. The smaller one will do 1 to 6 inch blocks but I don't think it does the nested.

https://deb-tuckers-studio-180-desig...square-squared

Paper piecing is also a good option if you don't want to wait for a ruler.
Thanks for posting the link to Deb's ruler. I watched the video and if I were going to be doing very many of those SIS, I would certainly order it. I have made a few of them and think I just got lucky that they came out right.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 PM

I've also been REALLY struggling to get this block right. I have decided to paper piece them instead! It will save my sanity!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:18 AM

USE DEB TUCKER'S DIAMOND RECS TOOL!!!!! Every one of your diamonds will come out perfectly!!! Watch her video on her Deb Tuckers Studio 180 design website, and watch how that tool works.............I made a Storm at Sea using her tools and it came out perfectly............
Old 01-25-2017, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
USE DEB TUCKER'S DIAMOND RECS TOOL!!!!! Every one of your diamonds will come out perfectly!!! Watch her video on her Deb Tuckers Studio 180 design website, and watch how that tool works.............I made a Storm at Sea using her tools and it came out perfectly............
OOPPSSS....did not see the picture first! You need her square squared tool............the diamond recs tool makes a rectangular block, and not a square in a square.................watch the video, and I am sorry I did not see the picture before I posted originally.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

One of the easiest and most accurate ways I do it is-

http://sewquickly.com/quick-cut-squa...t-quilt-block/

http://videos.hgtv.com/video/super-f...-cutting-62245

I flip my cutting mat over and drew lines on it with permanent markers.
Attached Thumbnails 004-custom-.jpg   005-custom-.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 04:46 AM

Looking at you pic......when you sew two blocks together I take a pin and put it right at the point of each block, then pin it down with just a tiny "bite". Sew and when you reach that X intersection, sew carefully just one thread to the right of that X and when you are thru and flip to the right side, those points will "kiss".