Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with Strings please >

help with Strings please

help with Strings please

Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 AM

Default help with Strings please

I've been saving all my 1 1/2 inch strips/strings to make a string quilt. After making 3 blocks, (pieced on the diagonal) I'm now questioning if I should use all Civil Wars prints or mix that up with brighter strings. probably have enough strings to make a queen sized quilt with Kona Snow as the middle string in each block Also, has anyone ever made a string quilt entirely out of one color family, such as all greens??
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:54 AM

I make a lot of quilt as you go string blocks and quite like making blocks of colour families; blues, greens, pinks etc. When I have enough for a quilt, I place blocks of each colour diagonally which gives the illusion of planning whilst not having to think too much when making the blocks.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 AM

I've done all your questions and the answer is yes
You can use everything and anything in one project, the key being lots of everything to make it one. Just one or two magentas for instance will stand out like a sore thumb, use whatever you are using through the whole quilt.
I've also found breaking it down from that, leaving out all the red and black makes a better cohesiveness.

My favorite though is combiningg all one color, from lime and seafoam to spruce...a richness that can't be matched in commercial matched up color lines.

If you google string quilts, you'll be consumed with ideas and plans Sharyn
Old 06-17-2019, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I have a string project going from leftover fabric used to make a King quilt last summer.
I haven't mixed any fabrics but I may as I think I may get bored with using all those same fabrics.
Civil War tends to get a little boring to me. I think your idea of mixing things up is a good one.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 AM

There are as many variations on string quilts as there are quilts. Many ways to make, many ways to plan or to go with randomness. Keep in mind that random can result in ugly, so if you are going to go random go hog wild everyone in the pool. If everything is light but one or two dark pieces, either love those dark pieces because you are always going to see them, or keep them out, or add more to the mix.

Otherwise, sure, go for a color family, or a palette like fall colors or Easter eggs, or theme like nautical or whatever strikes your whim and available fabrics or desires for fabric shopping

String quilting can just be basically chain strip piecing too. The strips can be controlled, they don't have to be the off-cut ends or angles. You can sew on a foundation or not.

I would use other construction techniques but I liked the projects in the book String Quilt Revival by Baker and Sanders. I like to see how to get effects from manipulating the fabric rather than it all being random -- I've done enough of the random.

LOL, but having said that I have planned and fabric collected for a Christmas string quilt. I have the white-on-white backing fabric and will be sewing on to that. First rounds will be the same red and then strictly color controlled true red, green and white holiday fabrics in random placement. Final outcome will be sort of interlocking white background with string star shapes... I've been waiting for a project to motivate me to make it, maybe that deserves some consideration.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I'm making a string quilt using two different color blocks. One block is all shades of red, the other is all neutrals.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I have made several string quilts. I use white or black on each one and just a big mix of all colors I have. I also use different size strips. They end up very pretty to me.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM

check out some of Bonnie Hunter's string patterns. Talking Turkey and Emerald City come to mind as single color designs. And she mixes it all!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 PM

I find it most pleasing to choose the most multi-colored print and choose colors that coordinate. As with any quilt, contrast will keep it from looking muddy.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM

I've usually used either all brights or all reproduction type prints (Civil War, etc) . When I store my strings I sort by those 2 categories and then one is just neutral solids--makes it easier to work for me.