Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: HELP

I just finished up a T-shirt quilt and accidentially spilled diet coke on it. It was a fountain drink but it has stained the t-shirts.

Does any one know how I can get it out? I have been using water and club soda?

I haven't cried that hard in a very long time.

Thanks for you help!

leave it to soak ( several hrs or over night)in the sink with oxyclean ( the powder works better rhan the spray)

Blog Entries
    I have best luck with overnight soaking in BIZ.

I did not prewash my fabric and they are very bright colors, will it bleed?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Is the quilt completely done. If it is then get some shout color catchers and shout cleaner. Spray the spots and wash in the machine with a couple of color catchers on cold using the gentle cycle. Sorry this happened to you. Use a little detergent too.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Here's a thread about a similar problem.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105268-2.htm

If you have not pre-washed I would add some color catchers to the wash
    and I would avoid the dryer until I'm sure the stain is gone. Heat usually
    sets the stain permanently. Good luck.

I have a friend who swears by Redi-Whip on coke and Kool aid stains.

Try some peroxide on the stain.

The above tips cover what I'd suggest. I just wanted I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm addicted to diet Coke, this is just waiting to happen to me.

Try liquid dishwashing soap like Dawn. Put a little bit of soap on stain and then wash. Check stain before drying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vharris
    I did not prewash my fabric and they are very bright colors, will it bleed?
    If you are talking about the sashing fabric, and it was purchased commercial fabric, chances are it won't bleed. Try dampening a piece of white fabric and rubbing it against the bright colors; if nothing rubs off on the white fabric, chances are very good you won't get any bleeding. If you do get bleeding, chances are you can get it out by washing a few times in Synthrapol (available from Amazon and other places online).

Blog Entries
    Sorry this has happened to you. A few months ago a friend and I were looking at a couple of my quilts and a full glass of red wine was spilt all over one that had a white background. We used shaving cream foam and all the wine came out very easily. Don't know if it would work on soda but it sure did on the red wine. We just dabbed it on and used a white cloth to rub it off. Hope it works for you.

Thank you so much for your advice! The lid fell off of my fountain drink, (I don't thnk it was on all the way when they gave it to me) and when I bent over to pick up my purse the lid fell off and spilled on my quilt. I was going to sell it in our gift shop, I work at a ski resort but unless I can get the stains out I wont. I will try what you said. Cross your fingers!

Learned a great lesson, keep all drinks away from your quilts! Even if they are in a cut with a lid!

If you can't get it out, could you make a week solution and soak the entire quilt and call it an antique finish? Sort of like tea staining fabric.

I agree with the above comments.

I would try to treat the stained area first. Another products is Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. I got mine at Hancock Fabrics but it should be at Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's.

This accident is why I'm always keeping my drinks in a small plastic (20 oz) bottle and I keep the cap on except while I'm taking a drink. I also keep a water bottle with my drink.

I've been faithful about this practice while sewing and while at the computer or laptop. They make plastic covers for your keyboards and they are very helpful for computer use.

For working around fabrics and the sewing machine (they now have computers in some of them) I try my best to be very careful with any liquids.

Let us know how you do with the stain and what you used.

Good luck with getting the stain out.

Pam M

I agree with the above comments.

I would try to treat the stained area first. Another products is Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. I got mine at Hancock Fabrics but it should be at Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's.

This accident is why I'm always keeping my drinks in a small plastic (20 oz) bottle and I keep the cap on except while I'm taking a drink. I also keep a water bottle with my drink.

I've been faithful about this practice while sewing and while at the computer or laptop. They make plastic covers for your keyboards and they are very helpful for computer use.

For working around fabrics and the sewing machine (they now have computers in some of them) I try my best to be very careful with any liquids.

Let us know how you do with the stain and what you used.

Good luck with getting the stain out.

Pam M

Yes the quilt is completely finished; I was in the process of sewing on the border.

Opps I meant the binding! I am not with it lately! I tried using the Tide To Go on a t-shirt (not on my quilt) and it changed it's color so I know that won't work. I will try the Oxy Clean or Biz next.