Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!! >

HELP!!

HELP!!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 AM

Just be honest with the guy and tell him after looking over things again that the quilt is in such bad state of repair and after assessing it that you need to charge him more for fixing it and set the price higher. If you don't want to fix it for him then tell him straight out that it is not repairable.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 AM

Been there and done that one, if you do it, charge a lot, it takes a lot of time and patience. Then it still won't be like new.
Brenda
Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 AM

I think you have a good idea on the best way to fix it. This happens when someone uses a much heavier top that they use for the back. If you do find yourself doing this quilt matbe you could include a copy of how to care and wash a quilt for future reference.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

i do alot of restoration work- sometimes the quilt comes to me literally a rag- and someone wants to somehow preserve it to put away for their child to have as an adult--
9 times out of 10 i have to first repair the top, square by square- if they are worn or appliques worn out i remove each piece (one at a time) replace/remake it and move on to the next spot. when the top is all fixed i remove the backing and old batting give it a brand new back and batt and quilt it. i try to find the actual fabrics used but if that is not possible i find as close as i can or use repoduction fabs. when possible i use a fusable web to (heal a tear)if there is alot of raw-edge applique that is coming up i use tule over it, but that's the only time i've used the tule for part of a fix.
if the top is in fairly decent shape and the biggest issue for this quilt is the back and batt it is a very easy fix and should not take long at all- it's the fixing one block at a time on the quilt top that is time consuming.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM

Are you over priced? Not by a long shot. I repaired a yo yo quilt for one of my daughter's custmoers and it cost over $300. Repair work is not inexpensive. Perhaps you could advise them to use smaller good parts of the quilt for a lap quilt or a wallhanging.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by trolleystation
Are you over priced? Not by a long shot. I repaired a yo yo quilt for one of my daughter's custmoers and it cost over $300. Repair work is not inexpensive. Perhaps you could advise them to use smaller good parts of the quilt for a lap quilt or a wallhanging.
trollystation has said it all. Last year I repaired one quilt and made another for my GD and the repair took 3 times as long as the new one.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
been there!!... at least it;s only tied and not quilted... that would have taken longer to rip out.... sorry, thats the only silver lining , I could come up with!!
Me too. I don't think you overpriced at all. Heck, if it's a treasured family heirloom, then they're probably willing to pay anything.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM

tulle is the 'fix' of choice for many archival quilt collections. i was taught at the winterther museum that the damaged areas only were covered in matching tulle and handstitched with tiny, close invisible stitches to the firmest parts of the surrounding fabric. but you didn't say that the front of the quilt was tearing or shredding. is that part okay? am i correct that only the back needs replacement?
if the back and the batting are the only parts that need replacement, then your price is very fair if they are supplying the fabric. if the front also needs work, then you have to adjust the price before they accept it.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kittycats
I have been asked to repair a quilt if it is repairable. Well, I took a look at it and omg. The front is not made with cotton fabric, it looks like mabey it was duck cloth or something like it, mabey even drapery fabric. The back is totally shredded and the batting is comming off. Not to mention that it was hand tied. Anyway, I personally don't think that it would be fixable without undoing the pieces of binding, replacing all the batting and backing. I told this person that it would be very expensive to redo. He is going to tell his wife and if she says go ahead, He will bring it back to me. I gave Him a price of 300 to 400 dollars! Now what do I do? Got a feeling that He will have me do it. I was trying to discourage him. Material wise won't be that much, but time wise omg. Any sugestions? Seems that over pricing (mabey) did not have an effect on him.
If he does come back, take good photos, because it will be much faster to take the whole quilt apart and make a new one, replacing the torn pieces, or re-piecing them,
When you do take it apart, use a designing wall to keep all the pieces in their original position, filling in the spaces, with similar-to-what-was-there heavy duck fabric. Make the new top, add new batting and backing and tie it.
You can still say no, or offer a new quilt, explaining in much detail why!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

Can you post a picture of it for us? I would really like to see what this tattered quilt looks like!