Help

Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Default Help

I am very new to home machine quilting and have been researching what brand of thread to use for quilting my quilt.....does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM

you are stepping into a big hot topic. I personally use what i have on hand and or what looks best with the quilt be it cotton white or colored thread or verigated thread or if i can get thread on sale i do that. (big UH OH!!! i know) but it works for me and is just fine for me i find.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
you are stepping into a big hot topic. I personally use what i have on hand and or what looks best with the quilt be it cotton white or colored thread or verigated thread or if i can get thread on sale i do that. (big UH OH!!! i know) but it works for me and is just fine for me i find.
Ditto. As long as my machine is happy, I am happy.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM

I loveKing Tut but have used many other kinds too
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

A lot depends on your machine. Some are persnickety and others are not. My machine handles most threads just fine and I often use the same thread for piecing as I do for quilting (just in a different or matching color). I use the 50 weight cotton thread from Connecting Threads. It is a bit linty but I like it. I also use variegated thread from the Coats & Clark Star line.

If you want your threads to stand out, then you could go with a thicker thread. (a 40 weight for example). If you do that, it is important to keep the bobbins separate. 40 weight is too thick to do piecing I think.

Regardless of which thread I use, I always buy it on sale.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

The persnickety issue is a separate matter ... I usually test my threads and the machine set up on some scrap batting/fabric til I think it's just right. Then I quilt a mug rug to test further and to get myself into doing it before I head for the "real" project! Use all the same fabrics, battings and threads for that test run, so you replicate what you'll be working on. Otherwise, you may get some surprises.

I'm somewhat a newbie at machine quilting and far from being good at this. I've tried different threads, but the finer threads are less noticeable when I make an "oops", and believe me, I have lots of those!!

Invisafil ... nice and fine ... and so far, I'm really liking it!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 AM

I use whatever I have on hand that is the correct color. I know, some will disagree, but my bank account is what controls my choices. I may have to adjust my upper tension for some threads. My fav setting is about 1 1/2 on my Juki 98Q. I also pay a lot of attention to the needle size and make sure it is correct. Also, for transparent thread on my Baby Lock Ellegante, I taped a safety pin to the end, just above the wheel, put the thread on a stand behind the machine and thread through the safety pin and then the machine. Works great.