Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help!

Ok, so I knew I was going on vacation Sept 11th and I knew it was my husbands father's birthday. I thought it was to late to make something. But come to find out it is going to be there (father-in-law and mother-in-law's) 25th wedding anniversary. Plus they had a house built less than a year ago. I need a present, a nice one. :lol: I was thinking of a wall hanging but I don't know what the color scheme is like in there home. I really don't think I can pull off a full sized quilt (dont' know the size of their bed) in such a short time. Any sugestions? I do have blocks already made for our bed (I made these blocks for us, it would be the first quilt I have made just for us), all I would have to do is add sashing between the blocks. There is enough blocks to make a king size with sashing. Should I go with that or should I try something else?

Excuse the kitty butt! :)
    Name:  Attachment-57971.bmp
Views: 16
Size:  900.1 KB

Hubby suggested a lap quilt but i feel bad only making one, I could divide the blocks up and make two.

I thought of a lap quilt, also. If you made a good-sized throw for their couch or another room, I think it would be more than enough. It looks like it would be a great size. Gosh I love what you did!!! The colors are so very pretty. It's a shame that you would be giving up something that you made for yourself, but look at the ease in getting this one done!

pal
    I would call up MIL and tell her that you had planned to make them a quilt for their new home for their anniversary. What color is their new
    bedroom, etc. With any luck "your" quilt will go. If it doesn't go, I would say something like "I hope that I can finish it in time" and "I hope you will understand if I can't get it done in time for your anniversary"

She may tell you that she already has one for the bedroom, but that she
    would love a throw for the den.

Either way, you'll know what colors to work with.

Good Luck - been there, done that!!

pal
    P.S. Your blocks are beautiful - hope that you can keep them for
    yourself.

I'd go for a lap quilt/throw and make it with a simple block pattern to speed up the construction.

Blog Entries
    My two cents: I would make a throw/lap quilt for them. I can tell you really want to keep that one for yourself. Find an fast/easy block and make one for them. You will be glad you did and I bet they will love it.

i've decided to make a quilt with my blocks. I'm just hoping I can get it sashed and quilted together in 10 days. I always had a hunter star in my sights for a bedroom quilt. :wink:

Good luck with your decision! Your blocks are delicious! Eye candy! :lol: Love the doggy butt, too! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Very Pretty colors ! Such a shame that you have to start over on "yours" again . And as for getting it done on time we have faith and confidence in you :thumbup:
    Sharon

beautiful blocks, hope you get it done in time!!

What ever you decide, I'm sure they will love.
    10 Days? Oh girl, you have PLENTY of time!
    I had one done in 3 days! :)

Power Poster
    Our favorite quilts are about 65 x 85 inches - and they are in the living room - and someone is under one of them almost every night!

I call them "couch size quilts"

Your blocks are lovely - and if you started them for yourself - I think you should keep them for yourself

Power Poster
    Plus you could go to the party, scope out the house, and then make something for Christmas, and breathe easier in the meantime.

Your hubby can be responsible for choosing the anniversary gift.

I agree, you should keep those blocks for yourself, you can make up some simple design in a couch throw size in no time at all. Just don't use a complicated block. Even a 9 patch set with a plain block comes out a nice chain. Or a four patch with a triangle square. Think simple and go ahead and do it.