Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! >

Help!!

Help!!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 AM

Do not worry about stitch count or hours on your machine unless you are using your home machine embroidery machine for a business...then you will have issues.
So many designs now are high stitch counts that I do a few and have a million stitches on my Duetta (plus some) and it is a great working machine.
Use your machine and enjoy it!!!
Kirsten
Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 AM

my machines are work horses, I do rugs on any of then and coil bowls etc and I do not kno many people that have put the miles I have and I never think about hours I run it or any of them. Never have to lube then and my oldest ie 20 years old.
3 do embroidary, and mt oldest was the first one and it will go many more miles. The tecks can only tell hours if it is a computer machine. I wouldn't get a machine if I wasn't
going tou use it. Why are you concerned with how many hours you put on it,,,, should last a lot longer than a few years. How old is it now? That machine on ebay would be an ornament and a boat anchor to move around...better deals than that. And the other lady that answered is right no dropping the feed dogs. If you just want a good little straight stitch piecer look t the feather weights. A true feather weight not a copy.
If I can be of more help let me know.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
I don't think the feed dogs drop in the old machines.
I don't think so either.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 AM

Berninas have a 25 year warranty. They should have a check up every year, just as you get cars tuned up. There are some really old Bernina's out there chugging right along. They are work horses. I have seen the same model as mine sew animal pelts together without even a sigh. That being said, I think it is a good idea to have a back up machine for the times yours is having her checkup. Or you can do what I am going to do, schedule service while I am taking a class. They will loan me one to do the class on and mine will be ready to go home when the class is over.

I do embroidery with my Bernina, so my hubby decided I needed a little machine to use while Nina is creating, so he got me a little Brother (no bells or whistles), it is nice and works as a secondary, but it definitely isn't my Bernina.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I do have a backup, it's a computerized Kenmore. My Bernina is only 2 yrs old, it's the 640E model. I use it for everything, 95% of the time. It has the extension tray too. My Kenmore does not is why I don't do more quilting on it.

I keep asking my son to make me one but it doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon and I can't find one already made to fit it. :(

I have a mechanial Kenmore too but I think the belt broke, need to get that one fixed. That one is a workhorse but again, hard to quilt on because of the short bed on it.

I'm still looking so if anyone can suggest a good machine to just quilt on, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I do have a backup, it's a computerized Kenmore. My Bernina is only 2 yrs old, it's the 640E model. I use it for everything, 95% of the time. It has the extension tray too. My Kenmore does not is why I don't do more quilting on it.

I keep asking my son to make me one but it doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon and I can't find one already made to fit it. :(

I have a mechanial Kenmore too but I think the belt broke, need to get that one fixed. That one is a workhorse but again, hard to quilt on because of the short bed on it.

I'm still looking so if anyone can suggest a good machine to just quilt on, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!
the juki, older or newer models are the best quilting machines
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM

Interesting conversation on this one, huh? Get yourself one of those "slip & slides" mat thingies that cover your sewing machine bed, has the little hole for the needle, and is slick on one side. Then make sure your machine is on a large enough table/cabinet to not have your quilt "hang down". Put a chair close to the table, or ironing board, or whatever you can to help hold the quilt up so it doesn't hang down. You don't really need an extension table to quilt...even large quilts. The "slip n slide" thing works great, and then I use the red rubber finger thingies...works great.

I agree with the other ladies.....just keep sewing/quilting on your Bernina, if that's the one you love. Don't be concerned about "using it up..or the hours".

I have 3 Janomes and my Janome 6500 is my quilting horse.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 AM

I really think that you already have one of the best machines for quilting. From what i have seen, the high end Brothers are good as are the Janome. Don't know much about Pfaff. I guess it all depends on what you are looking fo rand what you can afford.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 AM

I have 2 Pfaffs both are work-horses. They will sew the most delicate fabric to quilts with no problem. Never have to worry will the Pfaff sewing any thing. I quilt on my machine.
Don'g worry about the hours just sew and enjoy the machine.
Sewing machine are made to be used, not just collect dust.
My mother wore out 2 of the older model,she purchased new both new, Singers(during the 40' 50's and 60's). She got a new machine in the 80's my sister has it now.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

The Singer 301 is an amazing heavy duty never messes up machine. I have one and it will sew through tin if I need it to. It's a great for machine quilting too. Perfect stitches. There aren't very expensive and easy to find.