Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help With Twisted Bargello >

Help With Twisted Bargello

Help With Twisted Bargello

Old 09-28-2018, 06:42 PM

Default Help With Twisted Bargello

I have purchased the pattern to make the Twisted Bargello Wall Hanging by Chris Timmins but am not experienced enough to read and understand this pattern. I will really appreciate it if someone familiar with the Bargello patterns can give me some assistance in understanding the pattern. In reading the pattern. My understanding is:

I will need 1/4 yards of 20 different colored fabrics which will be cut into 1 1/2 inch wide strips and remain separated by color.

Each set of colored strips should then be labeled with a specific number which will identify the placement of fabric on each row and that if the row starts out with one number but later changes to another number I should change to a different fabric to match new number. I also understand after I have made the strips I will sew them into a tube and cut the tube into different widths as per the instruction given in the pattern.

I received a grid with the pattern that has a lot of little squares on it that I think is what tells me when I should change a color within a row. However, based on this grid, I did not find anything in the instructions to tell me exactly how long each stip of fabric should be or if I need to cut little individual squares of fabric based on the number of squares between each color. And if cutting little individual squares is the answer, how do I know what size squares I should cut.

Thank you for reading my thread and all responses are appreciated.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-29-2018 at 02:34 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-28-2018, 06:53 PM

If you haven't tried a bargello yet, it might help to watch a few of these videos just to get an idea of how they go together. Maybe that will help you decipher your pattern.
I have done a regular bargello, but I've never done a twisted version. Still, I'm still pretty sure that you should Not cut lots of little squares!
Here is the link to some bargello tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...quilt+tutorial
If you aren't in a hurry, it would be worth it to wait for more advice here too.
Good luck, and have fun with it.

***edit: just found this tutorial ...it may help too:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...bargello-quilt

Last edited by mindless; 09-28-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:15 PM

FancyFoot right here on the QB posted this excellent tutorial for a twisted bargello:
My Twisted Bargello Step By Step
Old 09-28-2018, 10:37 PM

I watched the video today that makes the Serenity bargello by Northcutt. It's on the youtube list above. It wasn't a twisted one, but it was helpful in understanding how a bargello is made. I can read directions after seeing the video. My problem is I want mine larger and don't know how to do that.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 AM
Power Poster

Start with cutting a little swatch of each fabric- assign each one it’s number/ letter, - place in the order you will put it in. Your fabric is cut into strips the instructed width by the length of the fabric ( usually 40”-42”)
when all of the strips are sewn together you make your tube. Lay it out flat and smooth, even up one end - left if you are right handed, ( right end if you are left handed) then start cutting across the strips the widths instructed for each strip- label each one. Organization is of the most importance when making Bargello quilts. Your ( chart) should tell you where you open each strip.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:45 AM
Power Poster

To enlarge a Bargello you have a couple options- you can do the math, increase the size of your strips evenly across to increase the width, add more fabrics or the width of the initial strips to increase length. Or, you can make extra panels ( tubes), or you can add borders.
Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I watched the video today that makes the Serenity bargello by Northcutt. It's on the youtube list above. It wasn't a twisted one, but it was helpful in understanding how a bargello is made. I can read directions after seeing the video. My problem is I want mine larger and don't know how to do that.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:20 AM

This was used in a class I just took. I snipped off a piece of the fabric and stapled it to this form. It really helped keep me straight, even though my colors were very distinctly different. BTW, forgive the typo!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
twisted bargellow key.pdf (172.9 KB, 239 views)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
To enlarge a Bargello you have a couple options- you can do the math, increase the size of your strips evenly across to increase the width, add more fabrics or the width of the initial strips to increase length. Or, you can make extra panels ( tubes), or you can add borders.
I think I will make an extra panel if I use the Serenity pattern. Otherwise I will find a similar pattern that is horizontal, rather than vertical. This quilt is planned for January so I have plenty of time.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:03 PM

I received a grid with the pattern that has a lot of little squares on it that I think is what tells me when I should change a color within a row. However, based on this grid, I did not find anything in the instructions to tell me exactly how long each strip of fabric should be or if I need to cut little individual squares of fabric based on the number of squares between each color. And if cutting little individual squares is the answer, how do I know what size squares I should cut.
Everyone gave you lots of great advice. You are right, the grid tells you when to change colors within the row. It is a map of the entire quilt. For example, on my grid, the grid is labeled row #1, cut width of row 2 3/4". The first two squares on my grid are labeled 23 and 24, and that means to make a segment two fabrics long by removing the stitches between fabrics 23 and 22, and 24 and 1 from the fabric tube. For the same row, the next set of squares on my grid are labeled 1 through 24. That means to make the next fabric segment by removing the stitching on the tube between fabrics 1 and 24. Sew the two segments together between fabric 24 on the first segment and fabric 1 on the second segment. Continue down the row like that.

You absolutely do not have to cut out individual squares. I hope you can use the grid, it's much easier. I'm not really good at explaining, but I hope I haven't confused things. Have fun!