Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP: Using Purchased bias quilt binding >

HELP: Using Purchased bias quilt binding

HELP: Using Purchased bias quilt binding

Old 07-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Default HELP: Using Purchased bias quilt binding

In an attempt to take a shortcut to finishing my 4th of July quilt I purchased the 'Double fold bias tape quilt binding' which is .875 in wide. I stitched it on using my 1/4" foot. I did NOT unfold the right half as I stitched it on so the 'fold' is stitched along the cut edge of my quilt. Probably my 2nd mistake.. 1st was buying bias tape as a short cut!! Cuz the quilt is still not done and it's the 4th of July!
When I turn the binding to the back (of course) there is toooo much on the reverse side, and the 'fold' is wider than my seam.... the quilt does not 'fill out' the entire width of the bias binding when it is folded to the back.. Does that make sense??
Should I simply take a larger seam?? I haven't used pre purchased tape in so long and this is double folded... unlike the what I do which is cut my strips, fold them in half,press and attach... I am stumped by this double fold.
Hopefully, someone can help!
Thank you in advance.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:36 PM

Here is a photo that may help explain... or not! LOL
Thank you again for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails img_20140704_173317_234.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

You can cut strips of batting to "fill out" the binding. I would probably zigzag the strips of batting to the quilt's edge, then fold the binding over to the back. No one but you will ever know about the extra batting.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if the miters at the corners will still work. I think they will as long as your added batting strips are all the same width.

If you want to be sure, I would cut a couple of batting strips, loosely zigzag a few inches of it up to a corner, cut the strip off even with the quilt edge, then loosely zigzag another strip from that corner a few inches down the next side of the quilt. Fold the binding over to make sure the corners will miter correctly.

Edit: Theoretically, what you are doing is extending your quilt's edges to accommodate your wide binding.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:45 PM

I have seen it where the binding was placed on both sides of the edge of the quilt and then sewn on. This technique means you are sewing both sides of the binding at the same time and the fold is even with the edge of the quilt. I hope this makes sense. I don't know how sturdy this binding will be since you only have the single layer of fabric on the edge. I suppose you could refold the binding so you have more layers at the edge. Hth, Gina
Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Oh, yes! You could fold the binding again to make it the size you need.

Edit: erggg..... Not sure what that would do to the mitered corners. Test first.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM

I did try folding it over again when I turned it back but it's actually not enough then.... ;-/

EDITED;
WHOA... this might work after all. I think if I fold the remainder in half to meet the pressed crease in the tape it might work.... now to press this w/o burning my fingers!!
Thanks for all the great thoughts!!You are all fabulous!! Happy 4th!

Last edited by Divokittysmom; 07-04-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:03 PM

My Mom taught me to press it open then iron the seam down the middle. Like we do when we make our own. It works. Of course now I make my own with my Go cutter. The only purchased I have used lately was a satin blanket binding for a baby quilt.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:16 AM

I did what ann did and it worked well. Slightly less work than making your own, especially if it means a trip out of town for fabric to make the binding. Even Whalemart has double fold bias tape. ;-/
Old 07-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Don't feel bad. My 4th of July quilt, the fabric never got cut. I could NOT believe how fast time is flying when you are busy making charity placemats. Oh well, there is always next year !!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 PM

thank you again everyone for your ideas and support. I was able to complete my quilt. I did fold back the bias tape one more time and it actually worked and the mitered corners even look acceptable!!