Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!! wanting new quilting machine, which way to go...need advise >

HELP!!! wanting new quilting machine, which way to go...need advise

HELP!!! wanting new quilting machine, which way to go...need advise

Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by GwynR
I love my Bernina 830LE. It does EVERYTHING! DH takes it on and off the frame for me. I use it for the decorative stitches and embroidery. For piecing the 380 is much more responsive. The 830 is wonderful on the frame and comes with free classes. I would think it would be a bit big for an RV but I would throw out all kinds of other stuff to make room for it myself! Perhaps you could buy an 820 demo for less? They do come with a BSR.
Funny, my DH takes mine on and off for me too. I have a 330 as my travel machine.

I hadn't thought of a Demo machine, that is a great idea! Sorry I didn't think to recommend it! 8-) lol
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM

I have a Sweet16 sitdown setup. It does one thing very well - straight stitch free motion quilting. There aren't any feed dogs and it doesn't do any decorative stitches. The sitdown doesn't have the ability to have a stitch regulator since the regulator operates by sensing the XY movements of the machine rails. The exception is the Bernina stitch regulator that regulates by an optical method - not as accurate. The sitdowns also don't do pantograms.

I think you'd be better off getting more than one machine. Get one with good piecing ability and decorative stitches, your choice of brand. Take this one in the RV. Then get one set up on a frame for quilting and leave it there. Do your piecing in the RV and then quilt the tops when you're in the house. The other option is to get a multi-purpose machine and just live with the hassle of doing your quilting on a domestic machine with the small throat. Remember that a multi-purpose machine will inevitably have some compromises. A machine that does decorative stitches has a relatively small throat compared to a mid or long arm machine.

For my piecing, I frequently use my Featherweight or a Singer handcrank in my camper. I have a "Gidget II" table that folds up out of the way when I'm not sewing but works very well in the camper. I only do quilting at home with the Sweet 16.

Pam
Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 PM

I love my babylock personally,I would go for the laura ashley
Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM

So I got a really good offer on a long arm with a frame for $8000 at a local sewing shop today. It is Babylock Crown Jewel with the grace majestic quilting frame and they are going to throw in for free lifetime service and warranty ...and ....a new babylock Sofia with service and warranty....and free service for my babylock espire that I already own....plus show me how to properly use my serger that I never learned how to use right. All this for $8000, WOW, now what??
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Do you really want to go that much over budget? Also, have you actually tried it out to make sure that you like the setup and that it is actually going to work for you?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Do you really want to go that much over budget? Also, have you actually tried it out to make sure that you like the setup and that it is actually going to work for you?
I have not tried it out, there is not one at the store for me to test drive, good question, will have to ask them what if I don't like it. I would like to stay in my buget but this is a really good offer.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:45 AM

If you want fancy stitches as well as the longer throat--I think the Janome Horizon 7700 is the machine for you. Compare it to a Viking Sapphire. There should be dealers of both some where near you. It will also be easier to find a service person for your machine if you go with the Horizon or Sapphire while you're traveling.

As for a frame; do you plan on taking it along with you in the RV? You'll need a free-standing frame or hope there are tables where ever you park the RV to set a tabletop model up on.