Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help for a well used cutting mat. >

help for a well used cutting mat.

help for a well used cutting mat.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:53 AM

I have the big Martelli mat as well and LOVE it. I have had mine at least a year or two, and got it at half-price as well. I believe it is self-healing. I also have one of those professional type mats you see in quilt shops.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
Yah, good idea, but where can you find a mat that has the lines on both sides. I would like to find a good use for my big ones that are practically cut all the way through, like a liner for refrigerator shelves or something. I have a good 8 or 9 mats, big and medium small that I cannot cut on anymore, but I could cut them to fit the shelves and take those out and wash them and keep the glass shelving cleaner. Or drawer liners in the kitchen. I can think of a lot of things like that, but when it comes down to it, it starts sounding stupid, so I don't. Edie
If you make bags, you could cut the mat in pieces to use for the bottom of the bag. Or use a small piece beside your sewing machine for quick cuts when making flying geese type blocks or maybe in paper piecing, or trimming off rabbit ears. If you do templates like octagons, you could make various shapes to keep for those.
I can't just throw one out as witnessed by the one I've been using for more years than I can remember!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Goodness I buy a new mat every couple of years. Why hang on to a old bad mat that long? For what?
You are blessed to be able to "buy a new one every couple years". Some of us are on a small fixed income and must save up for such an expensive piece of equipment. I hope this makes it clear? Blessings.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM

I have repurposed my oldest cutting mat for a floor mat under my rolling chair. I have been know to wear holes in the flooring. This mat was one that was warped. I think I rolled out the warp. :>)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 AM

My mat has definitely benefited from the treatment gave it with the quilt glide. Last night I cut out a new top, and it was wonderful when I was cutting the long strips. I think one reason mats wear out so quickly is all the small fibers clogging up the cuts. I kept the cloth I had used in the treatment and used it to clean up the mat when I was done. It had a heavy residue of the quilt glide on it still. Again I drew up a great deal of tiny fibers from what I thought was a clean mat. So now I will use it to regularly scrub out debris do a major refresh a couple of times a year. It may be the mat might out last me.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Does the Quilt Glide wipe off the mat completely? My ignorance about this product is complete. I'm just curiuos about the possibility of the product staining (or whatever) the fabric.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:26 PM

If you have a accuquilt Go cuter you can cut a old mat up to the size of mats you need for your Go cutter. This works in a pinch.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Does the Quilt Glide wipe off the mat completely? My ignorance about this product is complete. I'm just curiuos about the possibility of the product staining (or whatever) the fabric.
The spray seems to sink into the mat and hydrate it. It does need to sit for a couple of hours and then get a good rub down. I use a scrap piece of sheeting. It does not seem to leave any residue and I have used it to cut fabric. Remember it was designed to go on the bed of the machine to slick it up for free motion quilting, so leaving a residue would be counter productive.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
Yah, good idea, but where can you find a mat that has the lines on both sides. I would like to find a good use for my big ones that are practically cut all the way through, like a liner for refrigerator shelves or something. I have a good 8 or 9 mats, big and medium small that I cannot cut on anymore, but I could cut them to fit the shelves and take those out and wash them and keep the glass shelving cleaner. Or drawer liners in the kitchen. I can think of a lot of things like that, but when it comes down to it, it starts sounding stupid, so I don't. Edie
Well those sound like good ideas to me, not even a little bit stupid. I like the idea to keep the glass shelving clean.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:36 PM

I use my old mats for bag bases and cover with fabric leaving an opening to remove on wash day. I have a few mats on the go at different times including one which always goes to classes. They all wear out at different times and are replaced. Usually change every 2 / 5 years.