Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help - what is pelon

my pattern says 1m of stick on pelon

Its a name brand of fusible stabilizer. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Its a name brand of fusible stabilizer. I hope this helps.
    could this be what we call tear away

I think of a thin batting like stablizer. I use it in totes and bags. I have used both, adhesive and non adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I think of a thin batting like stablizer. I use it in totes and bags. I have used both, adhesive and non adhesive.
    thanks we have names like tear away, wadding, and pelon but I am not sure if pelon and tear away are the same or if wadding very fine and pelon are the same - will need to wait to see if an aussie answers also - no hurry - just cutting out and need to join strips before that stage - thanks it is for a table runner

in the US there is a tear=away stabilizer made by several companies and Pellon may make one, I'm not sure. Your wadding is the same as our batting, I'm sure, and that is different than stabilizer... Pellon is a brand name for various stabilizers here in the US, is that what you meant by "pelon"? The tear-away stabilizer is designed so that after stitching it can be torn away from the stitching..the purpose is to provide stability while doing the stitching but to not have any stiffness left in the project after the stitching is completed.

since your pattern calls for stickon Pellon, I'd probably not use the tear=away, but look for the kind that is intended to remain in the project.

Pelon is a brand. They make many things. Are you making an applique project? If you are, Pelon refers to Wonder Under. You can substitute with Heat and Bond or any other fusible. It can also be fusible interfacing or stabilizer. What is the project?

Blog Entries
    Here in Australia Pellon is a thin iron on batting, used when quilting two fabrics together. Would be used for the Bow Tucks bags.

Here in the UK what we usually use for applique is Bond a Web, but while in US I bought Pelon which is the same thing. I know Pelon make different types, as I have also used a very stiff Pelon for book covers. I was very happy with this brand.If you google in Pelon, you will come onto their site.

Thanks to all who have given advice - I am now thinking it maybe what I call Visoflex - does this ring a bell with anyone

Vlisoflex is double sided fusable for applique. Pellon is a very fine polester(I think) batting, used for tablerunners and bags.Spotlight keeps a range of this, as does most LQS's.
    And yes, I do live in Australia, and I have bought and used pellon.

Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    Vlisoflex is double sided fusable for applique. Pellon is a very fine polester(I think) batting, used for tablerunners and bags.Spotlight keeps a range of this, as does most LQS's.
    And yes, I do live in Australia, and I have bought and used pellon.
    thanks Lindyline - I am now all sorted thanks to you - I now know I will need to buy some tomorrow - I get very confused with names and sorts of things - may I keep your name for future references to what it is called in Australia

Sure, and you can even pm if you need more help.

Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    Sure, and you can even pm if you need more help.
    thanks a million - have added you to my buddy list - once again thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris
    Pelon is like batting but is spongier, used in bags & pillows. Don't know about stick on but I've used iron on. It also comes in different thicknesses.
    If you have a Spotlight near you they sell it. Is there one in Toowoomba??

Pelon is a brand name. They make many types of stabizers,interfacing and stiffeners (for making purses and such).

I use Pellon brand often when sewing clothes. It's fusible on one side and it comes in many weights. I just used a very light weight one called featherweight for interfacing on the neck and front facings for a cotton wrap robe I just made. I haven't done applique yet but I imagine it would work for that. And a heavier weight would be stiffer and studier for making a purse or tote bag.

Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris
    Pelon is like batting but is spongier, used in bags & pillows. Don't know about stick on but I've used iron on. It also comes in different thicknesses.
    If you have a Spotlight near you they sell it. Is there one in Toowoomba??
    thanks I think I will go and see my ladies at our local sewing shop and they will know for sure . Where in Brisbane do you live as I have a daughter at Scarborough

I often use a pellon product called fusible fleece in place of batting in small projects like bags. However, I have several iron-on interfacings/stabilizers made by the company, lightweight, medium, heaveywieght.