Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Why does this look so bad? >

Help! Why does this look so bad?

Help! Why does this look so bad?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 AM

Default Help! Why does this look so bad?

So I saw a quilt that I wanted to reproduce. The original was blue and I wanted to do it in greens in a different size. Well, so far, the greens look just awful, no matter how I arrange the blocks. Could someone tell me what I'm doing so wrong? Or make suggestions if there's any way I might go with this to save it.
Attached Thumbnails blues.jpg   greens.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM

Well, I'm no expert but to me the bright greens are too stark (esp. the neon-looking one) with the softer hues. Maybe try switching to softer shades or sprinkle more brighter ones throughout the rows.
The blue has all muted blues to my eye and looks more harmonious.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 AM

I wouldn't call it awful...I think the brights and very greyed down greens do clash. Try removing a few that really stand out and replacing them. You could go all bright ...yellow green (bunch of varied shades so they aren't all dominant) or go with the more muted shades and add some slightly brighter blocks ( more teal/turquoise). Greens can be tricky as there are so many directions they can go.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

oh my, not sure. you could try arranging the same colors going across the quilt diagonally. but then, that's not what you were trying for. if you wanted more muted you could remove the bright (lime) green and the dark medium green.

I did this one and know i laid them all out first but still put some too close to each other.
Attached Thumbnails batik-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by nativetexan; 07-31-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:04 AM

I'm so sorry you are disappointed, Carol. This has happened to all of us. I have several suggestions that might help. Most of your greens read blue-green to me. I think the yellow-greens are too yellow, and that might be some of what you are disliking. I also think you don't have enough mid-range in your fabric choices. They are either very dark or very light. So maybe replacing the yellow-greens with some mid-range blue-green/white prints might change your mind about your quilt. I hope you find a solution.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:06 AM

It has happened to me. I just put one away that I can't get to "feel" right. I've ripped, sewed, ripped and sewed again and I still can't find what works.

Here's my suggestion - take out the +'s and rearrange it and see if you like that better. If you're still unhappy with it, try it without the triangles.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you pick out the blocks that are in the gray/blue/green family and lose all that are in the yellow/brown/green family and look at that.

bkay
Attached Thumbnails quilt-suggestion.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

The acid greens are shouting a bit. Either remove them or try for zipper effect by making a verticle line of them down the quilt for a design element.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 AM

There seems to be too much greyish green, and not evenly spaced throughout the top and the top reads as solid, which is hard to get balanced IMHO.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

i don't think it looks that bad. it may be that your lights do not have enough contrast to the darks
Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I like what bkay did. Those neons throw the whole thing off. But it's going to look really nice when you get it figured out!