Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help. wrinkled batting... Panic!

Help. wrinkled batting... Panic!

What do I do with batting that comes off the roll all wrinkled?? This is my first time using batting from a roll and I'm getting near the end of it. It's very wrinkled! Thank you all so much for your advice! Where would I be without you ladies!
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a Gift!

She who sews shall surely rip

I put my batting in the dryer about 15 minutes. It will loosen all those wrinkles

Power Poster
    If it is washable, i wash it.

Mine goes in dryer with damp towel.

Put it in the dryer with a damp towel.
    Quilt Gram

I've seen a lot of people say to let it sit flat for a while and it may relax, but the dryer with a damp towel idea sounds very good.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

What kind of batting?

How wrinkled?
    Can you smooth it out with your hand?
    Perhaps lay on a flat surface, and spritz it with water, and smooth it out?
    Let dry and then use?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spritz lightly with warm water on the batting and shake it out, 4 wet wash cloths and put them all in the dryer for 10 minutes, remove everything, shake the batting out, spritz it lightly, put them all back in the dryer for another 10 minutes, and do the same thing one more time. Then spread out the batting on a clean area or hang on a clothesline.
    Busy in Ohio

Thank you all so much! After lunch I'll put it in the dryer with a damp towel. It's 100% poly batting.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a Gift!

She who sews shall surely rip

Blog Entries
    just a caution... i put mine in for too long and it shrunk unevenly
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I put in dryer on low heat or fluff. No wrinkles at all.
    I love my life!

If you have the steam feature on your dryer, it worked great on my king sized batting. I steamed it for 15 minutes, then a light dry for 10 minutes. When I took it out it was very nice and unwrinkled.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    I buy on the roll also. I cut what I need and spread it out on my dining room table with a vinyl padded tablecloth underneath it. I fill my 400 hole steam iron, hold the iron about 4-6 inches away from the batting, and hit it with a shot of steam. Like magic, the batting puffs up and the wrinkles are removed. I move the iron along the whole piece until wrinkles are gone, never touching the batting with the iron itself. It's fast and produces great results. I leave the batting sit on the table to make sure any moisture is dried from it before I place my quilt top and backing on it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I usually load my backing and bat the night before I plan to quilt. I'll spray the batting, especially the creases, and roll back and forth. then I lay out the bat and if need be, give it a spray of water and let it lay/hang over the edge. almost always by the time I get ready to quilt the wrinkles are gone. I've not had good luck washing and drying a bat. Have not tried just putting into dryer with wet towel.

If you put it in the dryer spray it with water first so that it damp. That will help the wrinkles come out.
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave

You say it's poly and that's what I use also. Yes, those tend to get wadded around the roll toward the end. When I'm coming to that place on the roll, I unroll it and straighten it out, replace it on the roll and by the time I need the next length it has relaxed.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just threw mine into a dryer with a damp wash cloth for a few minutes. If it's 100% polyester make sure your dryer is on lowest setting. Often you can just spread polyester batting across a bed, spritz it with warm water, smooth it out and it dries in no time. I did that with some polyester and had ceiling fan on. Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny9 View Post
    Mine goes in dryer with damp towel.
    Ditto................me too

The dryer trick with a damp towel has seen me through every time. All the best as you finish your project.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

And, I would not use a very warm heat! A very gentle drying please.

I spritz my batting with a water bottle and run it thru the dryer for about 15 minutes then hang it on a rack to dry.

How about a needle board? Mine is old and much loved. Gotten me out of a number of wrinkled troubles and protected the napped, looped, felted, thick, etc. fabrics in the process.

i suspect instructions are still included with the boards. Failing that, there're always the kind folks at Dritz or maybe a Vogue sewing book for a bail out.

It might take forever to get rid of wrinkles in some fabrics but if nothing less onerous worked, ....

in the meantime, you have our good wishes and please share with us what finally works. I am not among the most persnickety folder up-ers and putter away-ers and your research will very likely be very important.

Alvie

I putt in dryer with damp towel, but if it is a large piece, I lay it out on floor and put heavy quilt on it and leave it for a few days while I work on something else. I usually have my pieced top face down, batting stretched out on top and then the heavier quilt to weight it down.

When I was a new quilter and using a poly batting, dried it and it melted in places. UGH