Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Zipper by the Yard, Please >

Help with Zipper by the Yard, Please

Help with Zipper by the Yard, Please

Old 01-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Help with Zipper by the Yard, Please

Hello all, I am constructing the Brentwood Bag by Pink Sand Beach Designs. I am currently doing the zipper for the top opening as shown in this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QlaeYbAF6s The pattern calls for a 14 inch zipper. I am using a section of Zipper by the Yard so there are no top or bottom stops. The bottom of the zipper will be finished as the pattern says with a fabric tab at the end, no problem. However, the top of the zipper has no tail to fold over as well as no stops. If I just sew it in, the zipper pull will run right off the top. Is there a good way to solve this? I thought of putting a tab at the top of the zipper, but I need it to open to make room for attaching the lining to the front of the bag. Any suggestions? The only solution I could come up with was to cut an 18" section and have both ends of the zipper extend past the fabric zipper flap. I'll add a tab after the lining is attached, and be careful not to lose my zipper pull during construction. An 18" zipper opening will probably give the user a large enough opening into the bag since the bag is 16" wide when finished.

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 AM

I believe you can use a pair of pliers and pull some zipper teeth to give you some leeway. If not, sew a folded piece of fabric to the end of the zipper. If you go very slowly (maybe even turning the wheel by hand) the needle should miss the zipper teeth and go between...at least, that has been my experience.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Nancy Zeiman of Nancy's notions did great work with zippers. you should be able to find some videos of her and others doing things like you described. good luck.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM

I did some "show & share" bags with zipper tape on the sides--after my 3rd try on the first one!, I finally figured out that if I used some heavy embroidery thread on the end of the zipper while I worked on the turn and lining, it would keep the pull from coming off. Then I covered the end once it was all in place so the zipper would not pull off. Clear as mud?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 AM

Cute purse!!

Looked at the video and if you follow her directions I think you will be fine despite the lack of stops. I think I understand your concerns. When you cut the zipper make sure you cut it long enough for the end tab and foldover. Put on the end tab as she describes and if it makes you feel more comfortable sew back and forth a few times at the bottom like I have done on this one .....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606254[/ATTACH]
I would not fuss with trying to remove anything from the top - just fold it over as is. Once the top is folded over/down and the facing is sewn to it, the zipper pull will stay put. It will have a small lump where the zipper coil is folded but imho it will not be noticeable . Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails pic1.jpg  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I personally would do the fabric over the end with the stop. like Nancy Z did.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:29 AM

I learned to hard way in regards to Zippers by the Yard. Order several inches larger than needed. As for zipper stops, I have used heavy duty staples. You can insert than thru the fabric by hand, then use pliers to bend the back side. Be very careful to not pierce your fingers.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't sweat it. If the zipper pull comes off during construction, put it back on. It may be easier for you to deal with the lining if the zipper were totally open. This video makes easy work of installing zipper pulls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag2zUhgLVKw