Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP111 >

HELP111

HELP111

Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 AM

Sorry I don't have any tips for construction, but I did find this block in Jenny Beyer's "Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns", on page 383. It is called "Block and Ring Quilt" and also called "A Friendship Quilt". According to Jenny B., the first appeared as a Nancy Page pattern in the "Detroit Press" in 1933; the latter appeared in the "Kansas City Star" in 1945. Hope this solves at least one part of this mystery. Hope you will find constrction tips from others on this board.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by seahug
UPDATE
I did another pattern of a new york beauty it worked very well and all fit. Just one thing I don't know how to do and that is I need to reduce the org pattern. I need to go from 3 3/4 to 1 3/4inches on the wide band around the 1/4 circle(corner) and I think I can take 1/4" from the corner piece. I am not sure about the other piece yet. the pattern I am trying to reduce is from Ulas quiltpage/ new youk beauty the beginner pattern. Maybe someone can help with the reducing of this pattern?
try putting it on a copier that reduces image size and reduce by the percentage you want. If you do not have access to a printer, go to Kinkos or Fed Ex (I prefer Fed Ex) :D
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM

With the first block the thing I noticed that may help you is to be sure to cut the pieces on the straight of the grain. Other than that all I can say has been said, be sure to clip about every 1/2 inchon all curves. Thats why patterns like it are usually called advanced quilters. Good luck and do not give up.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Iagree with Marvel. Each piece needs to be cut on the straight grain. Try that and see if it doesn'tcome out better. That is not the New York Beauty as I know. It (NYB) is paper pieced with triangles in the curves.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 AM

it looks like the original wiggled also, but when it was attached to the ones next to it, they helped stabilize it. test and see what happens when it gets attached to something. also, the hand quilting stitches pulled in the stretch a tiny bit and tended to flatten it out a little. between the attaching and the quilting, she took back control.

when it gets attached to a backing, that will also help keep it in place. meanwhile, everyone is right: starch, starch, starch, starch. i would gently push it into place and only press. if you tug, the stretch will be worse. imo.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Did you totally redraw the pattern using graft paper for an accurate pattern to start with.