Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight!

She is here!! I've got her threaded and the bobbin in. She sews very nicely. She was born April 22, 1954 which is 4 months, 6 days before me.

The case is not in the best shape in the world, but it works just fine. However, there is a terrible odor in the case and on the machine. Hubby says it's oil. Does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I can see where these adorable little machines are so addictive.

I'm still toying with what to name her. My husband likes Mini-Me. Someone on this board suggested DJ for Debby Jr. I like both names. What do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! What a pretty machine!

Blog Entries
    The smell is from the glue used in making the case. If the smell will go away it would have by now since the glue became rancid years ago. More then likely it was glue made from horse. Once you smell it you'll always know that smell. Some have masked the odor using various techniques.

Your FW is beautiful!

She's lovely.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! You will love her. And yes they are very addicting! I have adopted 5 now all with something different things about them. They are great machines and I use them more than my Bernina!! Enjoy! :-D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    That smell is a real antique smell. Soon that smell won't be around anymore after all the old things made with it are gone. I had my DGD smell it, just because it is a very rare smell.

Blog Entries
    I bought some OdorEaters brand charcoal shoe inserts and put them in the case. Took care of the odor. The charcoal absorbs the odor, plus the inserts provide padding for the machine when it's in the case.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Debby, When I got an old Singer I used Billy's tute on cleaning old machines in the sewing section.
    One last thing he says to do is polish it with Scot's Liquid Gold. I had trouble find the one in the tall can that you pour but I found some.
    It really shines these old girls up!

I don't have advice for the odor or the name.

I'm so happy for you!!! :D:D

Wow she looks like new a real beauty.

She's a beauty! I agree, the smell will not go away. But I stick a Bounce sheet in my cabinet and it helps. I'm so used to the smell now I hardly notice it.

Banned
    Ooh, she's a beauty!! If she were mine, I think I'd call her BiBi (for Black Beauty). :D

What a cute machine. I love my little featherweight. Didn't come with a case so I can't help with that situation.

Featherweight cases often smell and you can read all kinds of information about how to handle this. The glue that was used to adhere the lining to the case often breaks down over time and the oil drip felt liner in the botton of the machine may also harbour bad smells. Leaving it out in the sunshine, packing it with crumpled newspaper, putting in activated charcoal, kitty litter or baking soda to absorb the odour and dryer sheets all help to neutralize the smell. I keep a bar of Irish Spring soap (strong smelling deordorant soap)in mine at all times. If the case is ratty and you can't get the smell out you can buy a reproduction case or a soft sided new case to fit your machine and the felt in the bottom of the machine itself can be replaced. Happy stitching on your new machine.

Blog Entries
    wow, she is precious! Hope you think of a name soon

Blog Entries
    I have read to replace the oil pad under the machine.
    Also to put a bar of safe guard soap in the case.
    I see that there are lots of suggestions and I hope
    one works for your case.

Congratulations on your new 'baby'. They are cute, aren't they :D

I got mine just recently too but haven't used her yet..she's called Felicity :)

Thanks to all for the tips regarding the smell..my case, which is in excellent condition,. has quite an odour too and I'll try some of those tips

Blog Entries
    She is a beauty :D:D:D

A very pretty machine. Enjoy.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 cases and washed each one out with a cloth and some mild soap and water when I first got them...they were dusty and musty...then I sprayed them a few times with Febreeze and let them air dry outside in the sun...seemed to take care of the smell...

Do you use featherweights for piecing or can you MQ with them too. are the easy to use or do you need a lot of experience. They are just too cute for words. I want one too!

My case stunk too-- so much so that it couldn't be brought into the house and the stink got on the machine, as well. I tried the OdorEaters but they didn't quite do it. I ended up wiping down the inside of the case with diluted bleach, then leaving it open in the sunshine. It smells much better now.

I read that a fungus (mildew?) grows in the glue in the lining of the box. I think the horse glue breaking down is a better rationale. Whatever the cause, it's awful and you don't want it!

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Lil Debbie is a nice name for her. Beautiful machine.

She is Beautiful. Congrats

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous! When I got mine it had a bar of lever 2000 in it. Since that's what dh uses, it just smells like him now.

Blog Entries
    Try wrapping machine in NewsPaper then stuff the case with crumpled news paper. Leave it for a few days (I no hard to do) News paper will take the smell of fish out of an Ice Chest so might work worth a try.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast