Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And here's another thought....... >

And here's another thought.......

And here's another thought.......

Old 12-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Once you gift a quilt it is no longer yours to be concerned about. Gift it, be happy they thanked you, showed appreciation and move on. What happens to it next is not your business.
People get so worked up over things other people do with. ( Their) belongings.
They * might* put a baby quilt away then give it to the ( grown up baby) for their first child who may use it all the time. They ( might) put a quilt away for awhile and get it out to use at certain times of the year. You don't know-- so, why begrudge them?
I have quilts that spend time tucked away in a trunk-- then the season changes, or my mood, or the room decor and I put away the one on the bed & get out another. The beautiful quilt you made may not fit in at the moment-- that doesn't mean they don't love it!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:37 PM

I can appreciate the sentiment of the original post.

I know that I really enjoy when I visit my great nieces and I see the quilts that I made for them on the living room floor Or if I see my quilts at their grandma's house.. then I know they using them. I too love seeing the quilts I make in Facebook pictures. On the other hand, my niece asked me to patch a quilt that her great grandmother made for her father when the dog chewed it up. Yes I fixed it but I was a little shocked that the dog was able to get ahold of such a treasure!!

I would understand if someone wanted to treat the quilts as a treasure - might actually even be flattered that they feel it is a treasure thats a compliment
Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Hmmmm, not so sure that the absence of the quilt is due to "treasuring" rather than not being honest about really wanting one in the first place; I guess the recipient didn't want it as much as I wanted to give it. Never mind, it's not the end of the world.....I was just musing that's all.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 PM

I made my nephews quilts which were not only used on the bed, taken camping also used to make dens in various places. I also encouraged them to design these quilts themselves and they helped to sew them. Sorry if they ended up in the dogs basket I would be delighted as better there than in the bin.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I made table runners for my friend this year. Made mug rugs last year. Here is a photo that one of my friends sent me. Wednesday, I saw another one of my gifts on a table at the entrance of their front door. You just can't think that they don't like it as Patricia mentioned above. It may be stored in a cupboard because it is so precious to them. Just be glad that it hasn't been given to their pet to use. Now what am I going to make for next Xmas???
I love your table runner. Please give me information about it. I have a darling niece getting married in September. I've decided to make her table runners instead of a quilt. I have a sister and SIL who will both make her quilts. I am looking forward to making monthly themed table runners. Please let me steal your pattern. I think I will see her using them!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Once you gift a quilt it is no longer yours to be concerned about. Gift it, be happy they thanked you, showed appreciation and move on. What happens to it next is not your business.
People get so worked up over things other people do with. ( Their) belongings.
They * might* put a baby quilt away then give it to the ( grown up baby) for their first child who may use it all the time. They ( might) put a quilt away for awhile and get it out to use at certain times of the year. You don't know-- so, why begrudge them?
I have quilts that spend time tucked away in a trunk-- then the season changes, or my mood, or the room decor and I put away the one on the bed & get out another. The beautiful quilt you made may not fit in at the moment-- that doesn't mean they don't love it!
Well put! Perhaps because we put so much effort onto the creation of the quilt, it is hard to completely let go of it when we gift it. But you are most correct, as my DH would say. "Once gifted, no longer ours to be concerned about."
Old 12-22-2015, 04:07 AM

When I was a little girl, I can remember USING my grandmother's quilts she'd lovingly made for us, by putting one end on the clothesline with clothespins . . .and nailing the other end into the ground with nails! Then doing the same thing with a second quilt to make a tent.

My mother wasn't as upset about it as one might think, after all, she never so much as sewed a button on. But looking back, I'd give anything to have my grandmother's quilts. As a quilter, I can appreciate so much more, the time and love she poured into each one.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:36 AM

I always hope the recipient uses my quilt gifts, I tell them that it has been washed on cold in the washing machine which I hope frees them up to use it. Heirloom quilts are sad because they mean nothing. All that work, wasted. But, once given, who knows.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Lots of my quilts aren't used. Once I give them away I try not to think about it. I do remember the quilts. I keep a list of ones I make and who got them.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:29 PM

I made a quilt for my daughter when gson was born. We picked out the pattern together and the fabric colors, even picked out the quilting she wanted. It turned out great and she really liked it....but never used it once. She didn't want to ruin it or have anything happen to it. So it sits in the closet with the rest of his baby things. I am ok with it...that quilt will be his and he can always remember me and all the quilts I have made him....3 so far!