Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexagon paper piecing >

Hexagon paper piecing

Hexagon paper piecing

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM

HERE'S ANOTHER APPROACH TO THE SAME WORK:
http://www.brandysquiltpatterns.com/mylarpcs.html The company makes the mylar pop-out hexagon templates (and other hand-piecing template shapes). The template edges won't wear like paper or cardstock, you can use them as the cutting template for the fabric, and then use them for the prep of each hexagon. Since a hole is cut out of the center, after basting the hexagon you pop the templates out with a chopstick (or similar item). [Be sure to scroll down to how templates are measured so that you get your order correct.] If you're going to all the trouble of handwork like this, please keep this product in mind - I bought mine after my paper/cardstock templates got wet in an accidental spill.

This weblink http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/06/he...plates_10.html has the absolute best photos of how to use the mylar templates. Although the tutorial is for a specific pattern/layout, it has the best photos of the prep work I have seen. Also, even though the mylar templates are featured, if you use the cardstock product, there's no reason you couldn't punch a hole in the center - like the mylar ones have - to make the prep work easier.

Please consider this "other approach" lead. You don't have to reprint pages and pages of the shapes, then cut them out before proceeding to the rest of the hand work. I still have my original set after more than ten years. These are the best.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Thank you all for responding. Great info and I've checked those options. Found some of the Mylar pop outs that Wonder-Mar mentioned and have been practicing. Here goes.....one very long project!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Sew Sisters
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 PM

They gave out a set to make one "flower" at a quilt show in Newport, Oregon recently and I got mine and my daughter gave me hers - now I want to start one - I have a larger one but this one was nice and small and would fit on a 5" block when finished. I promised myself that I would wait until I had a couple of my hand-work UFO's done before I would start another so I am working furiously on a wall hanging and then I will have four small projects ready to quilt, then I can start a new one - looking forward to ordering the pieces I need from paperpieces.com - I thought about looking for a punch, but that just seemed like more work than I wanted to do - I want to sew not punch out shapes!