Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexagons...what should I do w/them? >

Hexagons...what should I do w/them?

Hexagons...what should I do w/them?

Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 AM

Default Hexagons...what should I do w/them?

A while back I went on a hexagon making spree, unfortunately I did not do a good job of cutting my papers and I am noticing that the sides are not even on them. In other words some sides are longer than others or shorter, so that it is going to be near impossible to match them up to sew together. So, what should I do w/them as I hate to just trash them all.

Going to make sure from here on out I either buy papers or use a cutter. I obviously just got sloppy.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:46 AM

Can you recut to make them the same? But honestly if it was me, I would throw them out, consider it a lesson learned.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Arrange them like flower petals, with spaces between them and applique them onto a plain block. Use rickrack for the stems. Or arrange them in a row, again with a bit of space in between an applique onto a plain block for a modern quilt. Vary the angle of the line and its placement on the block.
or post them on the 'offers' forum of this board, but be sure to mention the issue!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

PaperPrincess has the idea! use them, don't toss. many uses for hex's. tote bags, pot holders, etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Border each one w/ the same fabric so you can "match" the points w/o it being obvious they are different sizes.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 PM

I saw a modern quilt that just had the hexie's appliequed onto a background with a small space between each. Then they were quilted using straight line like a X across the hexie--actually think that and fusible is what was holding them down. Looked really neat (but probably not hold up in wash well).
Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Spacing them out sounds like a good idea, I'm going to look for some ideas on the net. I also thought about arranging them into flowers on a back ground block, maybe just a center and one "ring", and then using a smallish zigzag between each hexagon where they would normally be stitched together. That would attach them to the back ground and possibly make the uneven sides less noticeable. Would that work? I do still like the idea of spacing them and adding the rick rack.

Granny9 these are paper pieced so there's not a good way to recut them, but thank you for the thought.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Make larger ( all correct sized) ones and put your smaller ones in the center of them - then sew them together. They will make a larger quilt ( or project but will be adorable. ) no one will notice how the smaller ones don't match up
Old 02-18-2017, 09:36 AM
mac

You can use them to decorate potholders or a table runner. That way not only can you use your scraps for the potholders you can sew the hexagons to make it more interesting.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Spacing them out sounds like a good idea, I'm going to look for some ideas on the net. I also thought about arranging them into flowers on a back ground block, maybe just a center and one "ring", and then using a smallish zigzag between each hexagon where they would normally be stitched together. That would attach them to the back ground and possibly make the uneven sides less noticeable. Would that work? I do still like the idea of spacing them and adding the rick rack.

Granny9 these are paper pieced so there's not a good way to recut them, but thank you for the thought.
If you decide on this way try gluing the hexies in place, rather than pinning them, so they don't wiggle around.

FREE Quilting Newsletter