Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexgons- how to sew them >

Hexgons- how to sew them

Hexgons- how to sew them

Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM

I do mine like the Moda directions, only by hand. I might do large ones by machine, but I like the smaller ones by hand. Just cut out, eyeball the 1/4" in and start sewing. So far, so good. I do like the idea of that template with the holes but haven't a problem without using one yet.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 AM

The way I piece hexigons is this: I take the peice I intend to be the middle and then I take a peice that is one of the six that goes around the middle one, and whip stitch them together. I then take another one of the six, and whip it together with the middle hex. I go around just sewing that one side to the middle hex, and when I am done I go back and finish with each of the sides of the six hex's. Now I have a flower. I hope this make sense. I just sew in a circle so no Y seams. Then I proceed to the next row and but I will sew 2 sides at a time on those. I hope this is clear as mud,lol. I learned this technique from a YouTube tute I think. gina
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

keeping the papers in each individual piece- you choose you center piece- then one of the (petals) place them right sides together- whip stitch the 2 together along one side- open them- fit the next petal in. turn it to face the center piece, whip stitch the edge- open- fit in the next one- when you have added the petals all the way around the center you can remove the center paper...then folding two side by side peices right sides together- stitch the side, open & move to the next one...
here's a couple examples i hope helps...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]397310[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]397311[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]397312[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]397313[/ATTACH]
this (technique) pretty much works for any english paper pieced shape
Attached Thumbnails corner-2-pieces.jpg   joining-pieces.jpg   stitching-flower.jpg   stitched-rt-side.jpg   flower-garden-tut.jpg  

Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

you could add triangles to the "corners" and make them into squares to sew together. that would give a different look with those "corners" coming together.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM

There is also this way ......cut back and batt the same size. Layer batt,back,top fab face down,se about 1/8th inch on three sides..flip out and sort of crease in that last unsown side. Lay edge to edge and using one of the fancy stitches on your machine join them together. You can make all the hexes then lay out as you would like and then play with stitches and even change threads. Ther is a website showing this but I cannot remember the name, sorry
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Boy Oh Boy, I am never doing this, One Block Wonder was enough for me.