Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexi Addiction >

Hexi Addiction

Hexi Addiction

Old 11-10-2013, 11:36 PM

What a gorgeous memory of your Mum, Sak. Its beautiful. So sorry for your sadness, you must have been very close.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 PM

I do mine like Kindle too Jane. It makes the work lighter and more manageable as it gets bigger. I'm careful not to remove papers until the hexies are surrounded.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, I am going to be looking on the net at some different ways of doing them. I like having something in between other things to sew on.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Here is a link to my project page of my blog
http://stiffchick.blogspot.com/p/projects.html
I haven't touched this one in a while, but it's always right next to me incase I get the urge to work on it. I guess I put it off because this one is mine and I like to work on stuff for others.

All my flowers are done and ready to be sewn together in a quilt. I print my own templates on card stock and cut them out.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Gramquilter2, I love your hexie quilt. I see similar border in a future quilt of mine!! Lots of great info on this thread!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Default Completely addicted to hexies

Hexies are my go-to portable project whenever I walk out the door and know I will be sitting and waiting for something. Even if I don't have a specific project in mind, I have a small sewing case ready with all the essentials to just pick up and go. My largest (king-size, first pic below) project used 1½" hexies and is reversible. The smallest used ¼" hexagons (second pic) and is a design by Jaynette Huff. I bought her book for this quilt alone. My preference is to EPP with freezer paper, and my favorite size hexie is ¾" and I have made tons of projects with this size. I especially like to make table runners with this method, like the scrappy one below, that uses tons of reds and greens (third pic, my own design).
Attached Thumbnails 2010-394.jpg   2009-088-271x300.jpg   blog-058-300x237.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 02:33 PM

I love your work Ajpadilla, was about to say 'specially the table runner and then I had another look and could honestly not pick one over the other. They are all stunning. I have been looking, looking, looking at the Jaynette Huff book and will probably send for it soon.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Ajpadilla, love all of you projects, I am currently working on the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern from Jaynette Huff's book too. Hope mine turns out as beautiful as yours is.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Sew nice ajpadilla! I have a started an itsy project with 1/4" but put on the back burner for now. I did take my hexi bag along while waiting for jury selection. What a great conversation starter! Had 2 quilters introduce themselves and check out what I was doing and a couple of non quilters came to watch.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:12 AM

Isn't it interesting how non-quilters are attracted to watch? So much fun and a great way to start conversations.

I really did enjoy working with 1/4" hexies - but then, I just love any kind of miniature. The biggest "challenge" (not really) was pulling out the paper. Found the easiest way was to stick a straight pin through the center back to catch the paper and pull it out. Would love to see your mini project when finished!

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Sew nice ajpadilla! I have a started an itsy project with 1/4" but put on the back burner for now. I did take my hexi bag along while waiting for jury selection. What a great conversation starter! Had 2 quilters introduce themselves and check out what I was doing and a couple of non quilters came to watch.