Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexies, again. >

Hexies, again.

Hexies, again.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 PM

Default Hexies, again.

Seems like this is a popular topic! BUT I have everything cut out and have started sewing them into their hexies shape BUT I took the plastic hexies shape out of the fabric hexie and I'm thinking that wasn't a good idea. Everyones hexies seem so sharp and mine are very roundie. Do I need to iron them OR stop taking the plastic out before I sew them together?? As soon as I think I got it, I mess up!!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:00 PM

I kept mine together until I had my rows done. After one row was attached to the next 2, I would take the middle row out but I kept the ones in that still needed to be attached to another one. Hope you understand me. That kept them in shape better.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM

You could starch and iron them and then take out the plastic. I started out doing mine this way and then I decided it was just too much work. Leave your template in place until you have it connected to other hexies on all 6 sides.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM

That makes so much sense!! Thanks Ladies!!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Press-Remove Plastic-Press
Old 06-12-2014, 03:35 AM

Definitely don't remove until they are surrounded.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Definitely don't remove until they are surrounded.
I agree, you can't remove the hex template until all six sides have been securely stitched. If you are using plastic, be VERY careful to know if you can press them The brand of hexs called Quilt Patis state clearly: DO NOT IRON because they are NOT heat resistant.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:12 AM

The problem with not removing them is having to buy so many plastic hexies. The larger your project gets, the more you have to leave in.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM

I just started sewing hexies last night! I'm trying to use up scraps so whatever it is I'm making will be all from scraps.

It's been a LONG time since I've done any significant amount of hand-sewing - I don't even hand sew binding. I was getting flashbacks to being a kid and stitching up felt mice for our cats to play with.

I made my hexies out of cardstock and a punch, so I have about 300 of them. I plan on leaving them inside the fabric until the last possible moment.

I worked on it for forever last night (punching all the pieces) and sewed all of 8 hexies.

I also learned first-hand why hand quilters don't like batiks. I have a TON of batik scraps, but after just one hexie I've decided I don't hate "future me" enough to commit her to having to sew together a bunch of batik hexies. So there will be just one batik hex in my quilt...it's a good thing I like scrappy quilts! If I stick with it long enough to make enough for a quilt, that is...I might end up with a throw pillow instead, LOL.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM

I made my hexis myself using the plastic template material from my LQS. I punched a hole in the center where you can pin the material to the hexi and then stitch around the side to secure the fabric in plate. And, I also learned that you shouldn't take the plastic template out until the hexi is surrounded on all sides. My hexis were about 1 1/4" across.

I made a grandmother's flower garden with my hexis. ... queen size. I think I counted about 3000 hexis in that quilt. I still have the 300 or so plastic template hexis that I made.