Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hey guys :) Help with my dresden?

Hey guys, i'm making my first dresden quilt, and i have a question. I'm appliqueing them onto a background square of fabric. What i'm wondering is this. Should i then cut the extra background fabric out on the back of the square, so there isn't so many layers of fabric....or, should i leave it there, for better stability. I'm thinking, that with the blades having so many seams on the bias, i might be better to leave it there? Thanks guys :)

I'd leave it, but have seen it done both ways.

Blog Entries
    I look at it much the same as foundation piecing, and I'd leave the background in for stability as you mentiion.
    Of course, if your background were some vibrant color that showed through your dresden plate "leaves," then I'd trim the backing away.

Now that was a quick answer Megs! lol Have you done one before and experienced the pain of getting them to lay flat? lol I had to adjust sooooo many seams, but it's coming out good. I'm thinking i might be best to leave it there too, just because this one was a struggle to get to lay flat

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    I look at it much the same as foundation piecing, and I'd leave the background in for stability as you mentiion.
    Of course, if your background were some vibrant color that showed through your dresden plate "leaves," then I'd trim the backing away.
    That sounds perfect, i like your quote about the broom lol

Blog Entries
    I leave it on my quilts too.

This quilt is on my bucket list, so it's not good for me to hear frustrations about getting it to lay flat! I definitly wouldn't cut the back out. With my luck my scissors would slide and I'd slice the quilt!!

Barb I left mine on....just cause it wasn't to bulky for me and I pressed all my seems in one direction which hellped it to lay flat....I invisabled stiched mine one by machine...went pretty fast and was fairly easy to do with the blind hem stich set as low as it would go....good luck dear....:-)

I also left my back on. I pressed my seams open and did invisible applique' stitch.

I guess I'm the rebel. After I completed the quilt top I went back and cut away the background fabric. I hand quilted it and didn't want the extra bulk. I didn't have any problems.

Blog Entries
    either way is fine but if you are going to hand quilt you will want to reduce the bulk, or if you want it to be a light-weight quilt, but normally i think the background is left intact with dresden plates.

I'm doing a dresden FAN right now. Have to figure out what I'm gonna do for the border...plain borders just sounds so boring. Using floral fab for the blades with black for the background. Pretty dramatic!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    I'm doing a dresden FAN right now. Have to figure out what I'm gonna do for the border...plain borders just sounds so boring. Using floral fab for the blades with black for the background. Pretty dramatic!
    Julie,
    I would love to see picture of the fan quilt. Sound very interesting.

If you are machine quilting, leave it in. If you want to hand quilt, you will be glad you removed the extra bulk.

I have only made one dresden, and did cut the back away. Guess I just thought it was supposed to be done that way. (didn't want quilt police hanging around!) I did hand quilt. I'm sure it would have been more difficult to hand quilt if I had left it in. Sense I have never machine quilted a quilt, not sure how I would handle it in that respect.

I would only cut it if hand-quilting, but leave it in if machine quilting.

Thank you everyone so much, i appreciate all of your responses, and have just been so busy sewing trying to get this done on time, that i didnt have time to write back yet. I decided not to cut out the extra fabric, and tomorrow im going to be able to start quilting it...thanks so much :)