Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
High end brother embroidery machines >

High end brother embroidery machines

High end brother embroidery machines

Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 AM

Default High end brother embroidery machines

For those of you that have the quattro, duetta, or like the 2800 or so, what type of embroidery thread do you use, can you use thread that is not polyester. what brands work better in the machine. What are your favorite stabilizers to use. I am going to use mine for quilting as well. what is your favorite source for embroidery designs
Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 AM

When I purchased my first embroidery machine many years ago, I did not have anyone to help me decide which thread to use, I started with Sulky and have had good luck with that. But over the years have used other brands but it seems as though I always return to Sulky
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 AM

All machines are different even the same brand ones. Sometimes the problems with thread isn't really the thread, it could be the stabilizer, the bobbin, the needles or even the way is being used. Some threads work great on the built in spool others may have to be put on the table in a cup or thread holder. You should get a little of different ones and try them out. My machine so far loves them all. No, you don't have to use polyester. I use mostly rayon because like some of the polyester it has a high sheen to it; which is why alot of people use these. I made a bunch of Easter baskets and ornaments using FSL designs and since it wasn't important to have this sheen and the kids would be playing with the baskets I used serger thread. It took some playing around to get the right stabilizer and needle so the thread didn't break but it worked great. There have been times that I didn't have a color in rayon or polyester and especially if it is a small area I used my Aurifil thread. Stablizers depend on what you are doing. Floriani, Viking, Jenny Haskins and emblibrary.com all have charts that help you; emblibrary also has info on needles, etc. They have 2 different sections to get great advice from; projects and Kenny's corner. For designs I use emblibray.com, Oregonpatch is great because it represents around 20 small companies and you can always find sales going on. I recently ordered from Watts and Juliasneedles; both seem to be really good to work with. One that I'm thinking about joining is embroideryDK; it's $8 a month and you can cancel anytime but while you are a member you can download as many designs and projects that you want or need. If you google search free embroidery; you'll find tons out there. One more site that's great and the designs aren't really dense like some; Hatched in Africa. Good luck

Last edited by romanojg; 09-11-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 AM

I agree with Judy, my machine likes any type of thread. I use Metro or King Star most of the time, I have used Sulky and even Coats and Clarks glow-in-the-dark thread I got at JoAnn's. I use polyester 99% of the time because it does not bleed like Rayon and I've even bleached the baby bibs and no bleeding. I have a 6 needle and run it a high speed and no problems. emblibrary.com is an excellent place to buy designs, prices are great and if there is a problem with the design you can contact them and they will fix it or refund your money. The site has lots of tutorials and ideas.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM

I purchase most of my thread from MetroEM.com My Brothers love it. I also use Mettler bu not much Sulky. Sulky is rayon and tends to break more oftern.

Good sites to learn all about thread, stabilizer, etc.

www.emblibrary.com
www.allstitch.net
www.superiorthreads.com (not sure about link)

You will love embroidering. I have been doing it for over 5 years and now I'm going to try some of the QAUG designs. Also before you buy a lot of designs, there are many many sites which give you free designs to test their degitizing. I have loads of them downloaded.

Good luck!!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM

I'm on my 3rd Brother embroidery machine. I mostly use Isacord thread, mainly because the dye lots are consistent but I've also used generic high sheen embroidery thread and never had a problem with it. The only thread that didn't seem to agree with my Brothers was Madiera rayon. I've used serging thread on it, Coats and Clark, metallic, and cotton, all without a problem.

I use whatever stabilizer is reasonably priced, I've also used dryer sheets that have already been through the dryer, as well as copy paper when I've been in a pinch. I use a water soluable stabilizer on the top of every project I do.

I buy generic thread and stabilizers from Threadart - http://www.threadart.com/?gclid=CJyk...FWXhQgod3x8AJw

My favorite embroidery websites are embroidery library (they also have tutorials for embroidering on every conceivable type of fabric and clothing), Embroidables, and Embroidery Designs

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx
http://www.embroidables.com/?gclid=C...FYeDQgodoRUAXQ
http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/

I would recommend you purchase an extra set of the 2 hoops you find yourself using the most. I recently purchased 3 generic hoops (3 difference sizes) on Ebay for my Bernina Deco for $80 and they work great - a lot cheaper than buying the Bernina brand hoops. And the most useful item I have purchased is a 10 spool thread stand. I think this is about the best price you will find on that item.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/the-10-s...FcZxQgodKGkAnQ
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM

look at designsbysick. They have lots of freebies and you can catch on sale their for life membership. As for emblibrary they have beautiful design from many designers. They have great sales too!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the help ladies, I will be checking out these sites this weekend
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

I have 2 Brother machines, NV1000 & Innov-Is 1500D
got the 1500 in Jan 2012 so I could have a larger hoop
and Disney designs.

There is a thread going for embroidery enthusiast where
you can find lots of info.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
gml

I have the Innovis 4000D and I've used Metro Polyester and Madeira Rayon with no problems. I prefer Madeira Rayon though as the upper tension is not as tight as the Metro Polyester. A tighter upper tension will result in the bobbin thread showing at the top of the design. I've purchased designs from a number of digitizers. Oregonpatchwork is a good place to start. Secretsof is also good. Both have many digitizers listed on their site. If you are into 'Windows' type of design then you may want to try bfc-creations. They are having a Buy One Get One sale on their holidays designs currently.

To do Free Standing Lace, I use Vilene but the designs will come out smaller. If you used Badgemaster or Ultra Solvy (these are plastic like), you get the designs stitched out in the correct sizes.
I also use cutaways when embroidering on knitwears. Most of the time I use tearaway stabilisers. I purchased my stabilizers from Allstitch and American Embroidery Supplies. Check them out. Their prices are rather competitive.

Enjoy your machine
gml