Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A hint ----PINS >

A hint ----PINS

A hint ----PINS

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM

I used to do this for my boys when they were in nappies, and now will apply it to my quilting.

Thanks for the memory jolt.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
Originally Posted by Woodster
I've also heard a hint about hair - that human hair is one of the best things to have for a pin cushion. Keeps the pins sharp and they won't rust....Nope, haven't tried it!
Do you mean I need to collect my hair for stuffing? Ick!
Here's a thought - collect the hair that's in hairbrushes and wash and dry it then stuff your pincushion. Are you gagging yet?? LOL
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I've also heard a hint about hair - that human hair is one of the best things to have for a pin cushion. Keeps the pins sharp and they won't rust....Nope, haven't tried it!
You wash your hair, don't you????? Just think, our forefathers (foremothers???) used to collect horse hair for home decor -- stuffing chairs, making pictures......LOL
Ick! Ick! Ick!

My hair sheds off me in such quantity it wouldn't take long to stuff something but I HATE picking it out of the drain, sweeping it off the floor, plucking it off upholstery and brushing it from my clothes.

And - it's on my head when I wash it. A totally different process. Imagine, all that hair laid out to dry........ICK.

I have lots of deer hair around the yard, wonder how it would work to stuff things.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

I had never heard of this. I'm going to try it though. Great tip.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM

in the "olden days" everyone had a hair receiver on their dresser. Usually a pretty china box with a hole in the top where they would clean out combs and brushes and deposit it in the hair receiver for future use.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Great idea! When I was a teen, I had hair to my knees. I had headaches all the time and my Dr. said it was due to my long, thick, hair. I finally got the nerve up to cut it to my shoulders a few weeks later (it was a relief). As I sat in the salon chair, a little old lady came in with a bag and asked if she could have my hair. I thought ick! why?, but I said to take it all. I didn't care. She wanted it to stuff pillows! I thought that was so strange! and gross!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
You wash your hair, don't you????? Just think, our forefathers (foremothers???) used to collect horse hair for home decor -- stuffing chairs, making pictures......LOL
Ick! Ick! Ick!

My hair sheds off me in such quantity it wouldn't take long to stuff something but I HATE picking it out of the drain, sweeping it off the floor, plucking it off upholstery and brushing it from my clothes.

And - it's on my head when I wash it. A totally different process. Imagine, all that hair laid out to dry........ICK.

I have lots of deer hair around the yard, wonder how it would work to stuff things.
You say ICK to your own hair but would keep deer hair??? Are you kidding??? Deer hair might have ticks!!!!!!!!!! DOUBLE ICK!!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 PM

I have a human hair pincushion! Not my own hair, this is one that was in with my mother's things...red fabric with a little band of elastic...the only way I knew what it was is that there's a few worn spots and you can see the hair inside.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 PM

WOW! I just love these old fashioned, tried and tested solutions that seem to have fallen by the wayside over the years!!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 PM

HAHAHAHA!! What an awesome idea!! I agree. It would have seemed gross to a 15 year old!!