Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: History of patterns

History of patterns

hey there - this bunch is always such good help I wanted to see if I could pick your brains

I made a few quilts and I had an idea to put a little tid bit of the history of pattern with the quilt, but I have one that I really have not been able to find.

I found the explanation on the log cabin - the light side and dark side and the red center for the hearth.

I found a nice story about the friendship star quilt and how each lady would embroider her name in the center of the start

I have not been able to find anything on the Delectable Mountains pattern.... do any of you know of a story that goes with the Delectable Mountains pattern?

I would hate to only have a little story on 2 of the 3 quilts

Thanks

The Delectable Mountains are featured in John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, a popular religious book in the (late) 17th, 18th & 19th century. Bunyan may have borrowed the DMs from the Bible...

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    In Pilgrim’s Progress, Christian and Hopeful arrive at the Delectable Mountains after escaping from the giant Despair. The mountains are filled with beautiful gardens, orchards and vineyards. From the mountains, the pilgrims can see the Celestial City—their destination. But the mountains also contain hazards for those who lack faith.

Quilting tradition places the origin of the Delectable Mountains block in trek of those who crossed the Rockies to the Oregon and Calufirnia territories.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

that is interesting! thank you very much

I can learn all kinds of things here.
    So much fabric, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    In Pilgrim’s Progress, Christian and Hopeful arrive at the Delectable Mountains after escaping from the giant Despair. The mountains are filled with beautiful gardens, orchards and vineyards. From the mountains, the pilgrims can see the Celestial City—their destination. But the mountains also contain hazards for those who lack faith.

Quilting tradition places the origin of the Delectable Mountains block in trek of those who crossed the Rockies to the Oregon and Calufirnia territories.

It is time to read Pilgrim's Progress again. It has been years and years since I read it. Thanks for the quick reminder of this classic.

Blog Entries
    Eleanor Burns has a book out old one , I did make it its beautiful .

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Quilting tradition places the origin of the Delectable Mountains block in trek of those who crossed the Rockies to the Oregon and California territories.
    I love hearing these stories, and Yes, I too, like to know the stories of quilt blocks that I make.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Love that story about DM. Pilgrims Progress was read in high school and I won't tell you how long ago that was. Not quilting at the time, I don't even remember the reference to DM. Any other histories out there? I find it fascinating.
    All my grand-children have paws.