Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hitting my head against the wall -- again >

Hitting my head against the wall -- again

Hitting my head against the wall -- again

Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful quilt! I love the way it was put together, had to have taken a long time to do.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM

I have and will continue to cherish this beautiful quilt. To my knowledge, it was never used. I saw this about 2-3 years ago when my cousin gave me a box of extra units.

Since then, I have been trying to find out more about the construction. I know how it was constructed, but didn't know if she devised the technique herself or if this was a trendy type of pattern.

Yesterday, I learned that this pattern had appeared in magazines in the late 40's to early 50's. The appraisor was the only person who had seen this type of construction.

Actually, it is a quilt as you go and the possibilities of designs is endless based on colors selected.

It made me sad that with all the work Grandma Rosa did, no one had used the quilt or displayed it to other family members.....until a short time ago. Well, the masterpiece has found a home where it will be loved, loved, and loved.

The second quilt Grandma Rosa started and was finished by her daughter, follows the same design, story, etc.

By the way, Grandma and her younger brother came to the Midwest on one of the orphan trains from New York City around 1900.

Fortunately, the couple they lived with treated them like family and she considered herself as having been adopted. In later years, she discovered no formal legal adoption had taken place. However, this couple surely was her loving family.

This is one case where the "social experiment" of the 1900 era turned out successfully for both children and adults.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM

You should write this story on a piece of muslin using a pigma pen and stitch it on the back of the quilt. If you don't, the story about your grandmother will be forgotten. We lose so much history that way. It would make the quilt even more meaning full if you do.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM

WOW.....
Old 05-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
You should write this story on a piece of muslin using a pigma pen and stitch it on the back of the quilt. If you don't, the story about your grandmother will be forgotten. We lose so much history that way. It would make the quilt even more meaning full if you do.
I think this idea is great. I will write something up and make a label, as you suggested. Thanks for sharing with me. I've been so tunnel-vision trying to determine the origin of the technique that I hadn't even thought of labeling.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, save that quilt, awesome!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:53 PM

excuse my ignorance, but you are totally over thinking this wonderful gift. maryb119 makes good sense, I think it will give you some peace.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
excuse my ignorance, but you are totally over thinking this wonderful gift. maryb119 makes good sense, I think it will give you some peace.
Dear Friends, I have been so emotionally attached to the maker of this quilt and subsequent owners that I needed peace. Thanks for your suggestions. I have found peace and will use and cherish this treasured quilt. The origin of that pattern is interesting, but not as important as the finished creation. I am letting go and moving on in a very positive manner. Thanks for being you! :-)
Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
I have and will continue to cherish this beautiful quilt. To my knowledge, it was never used. I saw this about 2-3 years ago when my cousin gave me a box of extra units.

Since then, I have been trying to find out more about the construction. I know how it was constructed, but didn't know if she devised the technique herself or if this was a trendy type of pattern.

Yesterday, I learned that this pattern had appeared in magazines in the late 40's to early 50's. The appraisor was the only person who had seen this type of construction.

Actually, it is a quilt as you go and the possibilities of designs is endless based on colors selected.

It made me sad that with all the work Grandma Rosa did, no one had used the quilt or displayed it to other family members.....until a short time ago. Well, the masterpiece has found a home where it will be loved, loved, and loved.

The second quilt Grandma Rosa started and was finished by her daughter, follows the same design, story, etc.

By the way, Grandma and her younger brother came to the Midwest on one of the orphan trains from New York City around 1900.

Fortunately, the couple they lived with treated them like family and she considered herself as having been adopted. In later years, she discovered no formal legal adoption had taken place. However, this couple surely was her loving family.

This is one case where the "social experiment" of the 1900 era turned out successfully for both children and adults.
What a lovely story and a beautiful quilt to remember her by. I agree that this info should go on a quilt label and be attached to the quilt so that future generations will have the info. The quilt is just precious!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM

I have joyous news to report about the second quilt. My grandmother's great granddaughter has agreed to accept ownership of the second quilt. I am thrilled and my mind and heart are at peace.

The quilt had been started by my grandmother, finished by my aunt, given to my cousin who died a year ago.

The quilt was washed successfully and restored to optimum condition. Whew! No more cigarette smoke odor :-)

I am so happy this young mother will have this remembrance of our family to pass down to her daughters. Life is good!