Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoffman Fabrics >

Hoffman Fabrics

Hoffman Fabrics

Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM

I just purchased a few of the Hoffman fabrics that just came out. There was a noticable difference in the quality of the base fabric. It was much thinner than any Hoffman I have purchased.
It was really dissapointing that one of the high end manufactures has "cheapened" their line... and yes I still paid the same high end price. I have loved their fabric for more than 3 decades... I feel .... betrayed!
Has any one else noticed this? I wonder if this is isolated to a specific collection or that they are reducing the quality standards of the all the base goods.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM

I felt that way 2 years ago when I bought some Fasset fabrics from his distributor . I think some designers have felt the backlash.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

i would contact them and bring it up, but were they labeled as 'shirtings'...those are thinner fabric (sometimes see through)there are different grades of fabrics from the same manufacturer, sometimes the lqs is ordering from a picture in a catalog and not from swatches and will not realize they purchased a fabric not normal for a quilt shop. the manufacturers sell fabrics to all kinds of textile companies from fashion design to tent making and everything in between. if you purchased a fabric that you are unhappy with and it has Hoffman's name on it they should be notified.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i would contact them and bring it up, but were they labeled as 'shirtings'...those are thinner fabric (sometimes see through)there are different grades of fabrics from the same manufacturer, sometimes the lqs is ordering from a picture in a catalog and not from swatches and will not realize they purchased a fabric not normal for a quilt shop. the manufacturers sell fabrics to all kinds of textile companies from fashion design to tent making and everything in between. if you purchased a fabric that you are unhappy with and it has Hoffman's name on it they should be notified.
Nope they were not labled shirtings , and I am doubtful that Hoffman would have made a Christmas "shirting" and it was part of a specific quilting collection .
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM

I just found some Michael Miller that was disappointing as well. I wouldn't buy it. I wonder if it's the economy?