Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Holiday table runners in Moda Crazy for Red and Joy Noel- what backing color to use? >

Holiday table runners in Moda Crazy for Red and Joy Noel- what backing color to use?

Holiday table runners in Moda Crazy for Red and Joy Noel- what backing color to use?

Old 06-13-2015, 06:24 PM

Default Holiday table runners in Moda Crazy for Red and Joy Noel- what backing color to use?

Will soon be starting Bazaar holiday quilting- never too early-ha. I have some pretty Moda charm packs that have holiday tones but not overtly holiday in design. Should I use neutral creams, beige tones, reds or greens for backing ?
I want them to look classy.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 PM

I would go with the creams or beige. Maybe a gold.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:40 PM

Tesspug nailed it. Will it be so that both sides will be used? If so, that might help your decision.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I try to match my threads when quilting so if the top is prominently multi Christmas, then I would find a busy similar design especially if selling. You don't want any of your quilting errors to show.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I try to match my threads when quilting so if the top is prominently multi Christmas, then I would find a busy similar design especially if selling. You don't want any of your quilting errors to show.
Great tip. I was thinking a solid but a busy bottom design would as you say "hide some quilting errors" AND perhaps be reversible. Not sure how many folks even use them. I tend to do table cloths and when that's off ( the its my sewing cutting -piece placing surface- ha.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:48 AM

I've made Christmas fair items for my church for many years. Seems anything with gold - some glitz - always sells first. People tend to spend for holiday items. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 AM

I made a table runner for my daughter last Christmas. The top was a shimmering ruby red with a design in gold thread. I used a gold fabric that also shimmered for the back. I put gold tassels on the ends. She liked it because it was good for Christmas, but also for any special occasion.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Okay, don't shoot me. I would put a nice spring or summer fabric as the backing. I have made several Christmas Runners and table toppers and I always make the backing (floral or red, white, blue, or spring, or Fall) fabric totally different so that when the holiday is over, they can flip it over and use it again with a non-holiday or another holiday.
Everyone that I have ever given one of these runners/table toppers have appreciate the fact that they can use it another month with a different theme. My thoughts!!!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:04 AM

If you use a snowflake backing it would double as a winter table topper. Most of my toppers are "double duty" I made a Valentine topper with red and white floral on the back, flip it over and I'm set for spring! It makes a great selling point too!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM

I agree with another holiday/season on flip side, last year I did halloween on one side, Thanksgiving on the other. You could do patriotic for Sept-Labor Day, Halloween for October, Turkey for Thanksgiving, Christmas for December, Maybe snowflakes/snowmen for January, Feb-valentines, March-St Patricks Day, April- Easter, then May and July patriotic, then summer for June and August, oh my goodness, I need to get off of here and GET BUSY on that sewing machine!!! LOL!!!