Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For Home Machine Quilting, which brand machine? >

For Home Machine Quilting, which brand machine?

For Home Machine Quilting, which brand machine?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 AM

I have Singer S18, which I love, but more importantly for you is the features that you want to look at in whatever machine you end up with.

I think the needle down feature is very important. The thread cutter and speed control too. I really like that my machine has a knee control. Pay close attention to the amount of light the machine throws on your work. Be sure it comes with an extension table.

My machine came with a foot for FMQ and a walking foot along with a bunch of others. Check to be sure you are getting all the right accessories included. Try to get them to throw in a non-hopping foot if you plan to do any FMQ-ing.

The size of the harp is really important... Mine has a 9" harp and I have no trouble doing a queen size FMQ.

Another important thing is that you have a dealer who is willing to give you lessons and help as you learn the machine.

Check out a bunch of machines and see which you like.

Watson
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM

I have a Janome and really love the big throat that it has; it is a 6500 model and has all the whistles and bells that a quilter needs.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:53 AM

There are too many choices in a machine you have described... I think most of the top brands have DSM with a 9-11 inch throat space, the option to drop feed dogs, speed control and more. It really is personal preference and your budget. If you get a chance to attend a quilt show, many of the dealers will have them on display for you to use. When I made my final decision on Janome, one of the determining factors was that there was a local Janome dealer who could service my machine and that I could get parts and accessories easily. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:32 AM

I love my Tiara II, a sit-down mid arm with a 16" throat. It is only a quilting machine (no feed dogs to move the fabric) however, so if you are looking for other features on it besides quilting, this is not it. It has totally changed the options I have for FMQing however. The quilt is moved like a regular DSM, and it is built into a table that doesn't take up the entire room. I did buy the extension tables but it is situated with needle in the front and motor in the back like a long arm machine.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:56 AM

I have a Janome 8900 with an 11" harp. I love it to quilt on. It has been a good machine for me and was mid-price $2,500-3,000).

I agree that needle down feature and speed control are nice features that I would consider necessary. I also like the design of the walking foot on the Janome 8900 as I do a lot of walking foot quilting. The FMQ feet on this machine are nice as well. They are different shapes and they don't hop. I find it hard to FMQ with a hopping foot.

It has a lot of decorative and utility stitches that I have used more than I thought I would so that is nice as well.

You really need to test drive machines and see where your comfort level is budget wise before making a decision.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:06 AM

Do not get a Janome 7700. Janome is not makkng them anymore and dealers won't take them on trade in.....look at the 8900 or 8200 with larger harp space. If harp space is not an issue...then look at the janome 6600. All of these have tne built in walking foot. Go to shows or local dealer and try them out...be sure to take a little quilt sandwich to test.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 AM

I have Bernina 550 quilters edition, has stitch regulator, needle up,down feature, 10 inch throat, Hundreds of stitches, LED lights, I have quilted all sizes on this machine, even king size quilts. I also have a Bernina 830' which has all the same features plus more, you can also embroider with this machine, and it has 13" throat, you can download quilting patterns from USB stick as well, of course Bernina will cost you a bit more, but very reliable machines.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I love my Tiara II, a sit-down mid arm with a 16" throat. It is only a quilting machine (no feed dogs to move the fabric) however, so if you are looking for other features on it besides quilting, this is not it. It has totally changed the options I have for FMQing however. The quilt is moved like a regular DSM, and it is built into a table that doesn't take up the entire room. I did buy the extension tables but it is situated with needle in the front and motor in the back like a long arm machine.
I too love my Tiara but it is a sizeable investment. It does make it possible for me to quilt quilts that I wouldn't do on a DSM - even though mine has a large harp. Try several machines out and decide which one fits your needs and budget.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:48 PM

I have the Janome 6600 and love it for quilting. It has a 9" harp and is easy to move around while quilting.

Last edited by ghk1936; 04-01-2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2016, 05:17 PM

BABY LOCK Crescondo, out of this world. What an excellent fmq machine. It has a long neck which gives plenty of room.Love my machine.