Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoop for hand quilting >

Hoop for hand quilting

Hoop for hand quilting

Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Mine I think is a little bigger than 14"-I think it is 18". It sits in my lap and I rotate the quilt. I have one on a stand but I'm not all that happy with it because I can't get it close enough to me and sit comfortably.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t236783.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t236507.html

Here are some recent discussions we had, which I found with the search function. Good luck in finding one.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

i have a morgan hoop for hand quilting www.morgan hoops.com one side is 12 inc other side is 10 inch
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM

14inch lap hoop! I love it, can be used anywhere!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 PM

I don't like to use a hoop. I find the round hoops distort the bias of the quilt. I use a Q-Snap floor frame. I really like it. The grandkids play under it and use my quilts as a playhouse. My quilts are being enjoyed even before they are done.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 AM

http://www.hinterberg.com/cat-Floor_Hoops-20.aspx

i recently bought this frame at a LQS at a great price and love it. It tilts in all directions. Made a sleeve for doing borders. Tutorial was on here.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 AM

I have tried hand quilting just using a hoop, but wasn't able to do it comfortably, so I bought a Grace floor frame and have been very happy with it.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:02 PM

Of all of the years that I've been quilting(25-30). I've always had a 14/16 round hoop. I've tryed a bigger round hoop, and a oval hoop. I'm sticking with my round hoop.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I tried quilting with a round hoop and quilting without a hoop. What works best for me is a lap hoop. The one I have swivels on a wooden ball and is very easily adjusted for tilt and angle. This hoop leaves both hands free to quilt, plus there is virtually no obstruction to the underneath hand. My hoop is no longer made, but the closest thing to it is probably the Grace lap hoop. You can check out reviews of it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Grace-PolyPro-...dp/B002XNSJGE/ . Mine is all wood; I'm not sure if the plastic version grips the quilt as well as wood. Grace also makes an all-wood version of this frame.

I tried quilting without a hoop, but found that my stitches were considerably less even -- especially underneath.

In any hoop, a common beginner's mistake is to hoop too tightly -- like a drum. You want to have about 4" inches of "give" in the center of the hoop. A good rule is to allow the middle to move a fist's width down or up. This "give" in the quilt allows you to manipulate not only the needle with each stitch, but also the quilt (so you are also moving the quilt onto the needle).
I have that Grace hoop that is shown in the link on Amazon. I've had it for 7 yrs and just love it. It also has an attachable weight so you can quilt up to the edges.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:16 PM

I use a small q-snap frame. I do not use the ones with stands. These are made from pvc pipe material. I originally bought it for cross stitching, but years later after trying various sizes and shapes (round and oval) of wooden hoops, I bought an extension kit to make it a bit bigger- it is now 14"X 20". I feel like I have good control of the quilt and my stitches look good.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 AM

FWIW, I was in the market for a better hand/lap hoop, too. I did a lot of research on it, believe me. What amazed me were the myriad different types of hoops and different methods of hand quilting that goes on out there!

In other words, you have to find what works for you. But as a newbie, this is what I've discovered for myself:

I like my work up close to my face so a raised one was essential. In that catagory, there are swivel ones and stationary ones on a platform (with rods that hold the hoop to the platform). In considering both, I wondered a bout the swivel, that the quilt would get twisted up alongside me trying to turn it, etc. For the platform, I wondered about the stiffness and lack of being able to angle it without proping my feet up or whatever to get it angled the way I wanted it to be, plus the height--would it be too close to my face or too far away? Hmmm....

I even measured from my lap to where I usually quilt at, etc.

I ended up with a used swivel "sit-upon" off of eBay for a great price...because price was also a consideration. They're just too flamin' expensive IMHO for a new one from Grace or whereever. EBay continually has some great deals on used ones if you're patient and just wait for a "like" to pop up. I got mine for $20 plus shipping, and its a *really* nice one from Quilters Woodwork out of Canada. (You can do a search and find them on the web.)

Its an older model but who cares? It works great...plus... I lucked out and got a 16" vs a 14" model. Its perfect IMHO. My arms are a bit long, and frankly the 14" isn't much space IMHO. The extra couple of inches is nice.

I've been using it and I have to say it is sooo much nicer than using just a plain hoop. I can use just a plain hoop, too, but I like the fact that I don't have to hold and quilt at the same time.

I also found that the swivel issue isn't much of an issue. You don't turn it *that* much that it gets too bound up around you, and you have to re-adjust the quilt eventually anyway while you're quilting so its really a non-issue.

Mine pivets on a ball, and it can be adjusted to any tightness you want. I have mine set to just tight enough to swivel but stay put while I quilt. Perfect.

The only issue I'd change on it is the platform under me. (Sit-upon). Its okay since it really sticks out in front of me somewhat, but the older model has a thicker platform and it rides against your buns, LOL. So it could be uncomfortable if you actually sit on the edge of it. On the newer ones, they've planed that end down so that its more like a wedge under you, so you probably don't even notice it. Not a big deal, and later I can blow a bit of money and replace the platform if I want to, or what for one to pop up on eBay.

Hope this helps! Kim