Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoping someone can help me with a little confusion... >

Hoping someone can help me with a little confusion...

Hoping someone can help me with a little confusion...

Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Lazy me. I sew binding on the back first, turn to the front and machine stitch it on the top too. Lately, I have been using some fancy stitches instead of just straight stitch and it does look better, like you meant to be fancy, not lazy.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM

I have a Bernina 1130 and a walking foot on it and I can reverse sew and it has never damaged anything.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 PM

I can and do backstitch with my Singer Schoolastic when using the walking foot.

Regarding quilt binding, the customary way is to sew the binding to the front of the quilt, bring it to the back and hand stitch it down. However, because of problems with my hands, I have learned to stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, bring it to the front and stitch it down on the machine.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM

I don't backstitch when piecing my quilts, and I don't use the small stitches idea either--I just chain stitch pieces as much as I can and clip the connecting threads in the middle, which leaves a little thread sticking out on each piece. I use my walking foot for piecing quilts and for most of my other sewing, because I then have less problem with the top fabric shifting forward a little.

I have a Bernina machine and walking foot, and no one ever mentioned that I shouldn't backstitch, so I do it when making garments.

I apply bindings by machine by stitching them to the front of the quilts (using that walking foot) and after turning them to the back, stitching in the ditch from the front. They do not always look even on the back, but I don't worry about it. I cut 2-1/2 inch strips for bindings, and use a generous 1/4 inch seam to apply to the front of the quilts.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM

My machine has a button that does about 5 stitches in one place when it's pressed. (Locking stitch)
Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 AM

OK........then I have a question that I hope y'all will answer for me. I am a new quilter, and a quilting friend told me it's not necessary to secure the seams when piecing.

Did I not understand this correctly? Please advise asap! Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 AM

Thanks you for the information, I had no idea you may not be able to reverse stitch.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by skeetersmom
OK........then I have a question that I hope y'all will answer for me. I am a new quilter, and a quilting friend told me it's not necessary to secure the seams when piecing.

Did I not understand this correctly? Please advise asap! Thanks.
No, when quilting you DO NOT need to lock the starting and ending stitching, because you will be joining all these pieces together and then quilting it all down. They will NOT come unstitched. I do a lot of chain piecing and just run from one piece to the next without locking the stitching. Remember this is not apparel that will be stretched and twisted during use. You have many layers of seams all fastened together. It is a real time saver, if you add up all those seconds used to lock stitch each piece.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by justlooking
Thanks you for the information, I had no idea you may not be able to reverse stitch.
If you have a newer machine with a walking foot, you can use the fancy stitches on it, and most of them do some walking backwards to make the stitich. My Vikings don't have these limitations. Check your manual and the directions that come with the walking foot.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 AM

Can you at the end of seam, raise the foot and turn the wheel a few times that locks it too I have been told.