Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Sewing

Hotel Sewing

Wow - I think I am going to have the opportunity to take a weekend (well, really only a full day on Saturday) to spend with a friend at a hotel to sew together. My daughter has spina bifida & I just discovered a weekend retreat opportunity for her where she can go BY HERSELF and have nursing care & spend the weekend with other kids with spina bifida (she's 10). This is huge for her & I'm so very excited for her. My friend suggested that we meet somewhere semi-close to the retreat site & get a hotel room to sew together. She seldom leaves her kids, either so it will really be a rare opportunity for us.

Just wondering - we're looking at a place with a suite & there is a small-ish table with the telephone (more of a desk). Have any of you been able to request a bigger table be placed in your room or do you deal with just using the beds as work space or... Some hotels have meeting rooms - has anyone been able to use one of those? As you can see, I'm overwhelmed at this possibility & just curious what others' experiences have been. Thanks!

Sorry I cannot help with the specifics for lodging, but I can wish you a WONDERFUL time with your friend, and a WONDERFUL time for your daughter as well. I am sure she will enjoy her weekend with others! and you will enjoy the company of your friend and sew, sew, sew!!!

You can ask them to bring up a small conference table - even low-cost hotels like La Quinta have those. They're narrow, but the surface is big enough for two people to sit side by side and take notes, so there's enough room for a sewing machine. One of you can use the desk and one can use the conference table.

Or you could get a Residence Inn Suite - most of them have a full kitchen, a 2-person dinette and a desk - hot breakfast bar until 9:30 or 10:00 am.

Take an extension cord and a portable light - light in hotel rooms is horrendous these days.

How great that you daughter will have a chance to socialize and not feel "different"! And I know how good it will be for you to get a break, too. Have fun!

Ditto to what thepolyparrot said (no - not "polly want a cracker" ) Especially the lighting and the extension cords.....Have a GREAT time and I'll thrilled for your daughter!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Wonderful oportunity for you and your dear daughter. Most hotels are very accommodating. Call the hotel you are thinking of using and ask for what you need!

How wonderful for you both. Have a great time.

Annie

Depending on what time you pick your daughter up on Sunday, you might also request late check out so you have more sewing & visiting time. Have a great time! I'm sure your daughter will! Our 15 year old is autistic & went to overnight camp last summer for the first time - he loved it. I hardly knew what to do with myself...
    Shannon

Blog Entries
    It will be worth it to ask for a room with extra seating area.
    Got fabric?

I find that most places try to be very accomodating - just need to ask. The worst they can say is no. I have found most come with iron and ironing boards, so that is one less thing you have to take. Ditto on the lights and extension cords. I travel many times with a craft light just to be able to do my handwork. If they don't have a table they can put in the room, if you have a card table to take would be better than nothing. However, before you know it, you have everything but the kitchen sink!!! Have fun.
    Sophie2

I stay in hotels while away at craft shows...the lighting is horrid...plus the outlets are not usually convenient...bring with a power strip. I have used an ironing board as an extra work surface...
    I like to stay at Country Inn and Suites, if possible. They are very accmadating. They may even let you use a conferance room, if it wouldn't be in use.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Holiday Inn Express are great hotels with large dinning area for their Continental Breakfast. I have seen many people use this area during non breakfast hours. You will have more then enough table and outlets. Have fun!!!

Have a wonderful time. I echo what others have said. Choose a hotel and call to ask if they can accomodate you.
    Heather

Oh, how fun for all of you. I am sure the hotel room will work out fine. It will be fun just to get away from everyday chores and trials. Have a good relaxing time.
    Patimint

How wonderful for your daughter, you and your friend. it will be a great weekend for all, no cooking, no cleaning, no kids to look after.

I agree with the above on lighting and extension cord. If you are driving to the hotel, maybe you or your friend have one of those plastic fold in half tables. You can set up each of your sewing machine on opposite sides. That would free up the desk for cutting station.

You may need to ask for an additional chair. Most rooms only have one at the desk.

Enjoy!
    Lisa

Have a wonderful time. Your daughter will be in the care of professionals so don't overworry, she'll be having a ball, and you should too!!! Just don't book a room near a fabric store or you won't get any sewing done at all. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Blog Entries
    I hope both you and your daughter have a great time!!! From another mother of a Spina bifida kid who is now 23 and just graduated from secondary school in December

Blog Entries
    Double check that you pack everything you need, I do that when I quilt at my parents home when I'm taking care of them. The extra light and extension cord are good tips. Have fun and ask the hotel for everything you need in advance. Grace
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I agree with all of the above, but don't hesitate to let them know why you will be staying with them.
    Being the parent of a boy with muscular dystrophy, I find places can be a lot more accommodating
    when they realize the challenge you live with. It gives them joy to see you getting a break and enjoying
    yourself. I will only disagree with one thing from above -- NOT GETTING A HOTEL NEAR A QUILT SHOP!!
    There is nothing wrong with a little shopping included to break the day up!! Enjoy your break -- aren't
    friends the best?

I have done it a number of times, though usually because I was traveling for work. I just nicely asked the motels for the table I would need and extra lighting. They already had an ironing board I could use. You can call ahead and check it all out.

I did as much as possible of my cutting at home as I prefer my own cutting table because it is t he correct height for me.

I also took my own chair pad. I have a DynaDisc.

Since the motels had free cocktails in the p.m. and I don't drink at least 24 hours before driving or working ... I made friends with the bartenders and each night they fixed me hot cranberry juice which I then took to my room.

I had some very relaxed nights quilting in my room. Much nicer than watching TV.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I wouldn't expect that they'd be willing to give up space outside of the area you "rent" without an added fee.
    However, I bet they will be very accomodating to supply the extra table needed. It's not different than asking for a cot to be brought in.

Consider the amount of space ... if you're not familiar with the property, then you would want to check that the room you are getting will give the two of you the amount of space you need to work and slep comfortably. As suggested, you might want a suite, and then could do some of your meals yourselves .... especially the snacks!

Be up front and tell them what you have planned, and why ... along with your needs. As already said, if you don't ask, you won't have given them the opportunity to show their customer service extraordinaire!!!

And most important ... HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a great opportunity - have a ball!!!

Blog Entries
    Hampton Inns have always been good about moving a small table in - and one time didn't have anyone in the conference room I could use it. I used to travel weekly and always took my little sewing machine.
    Quilting in the Desert

Power Poster
    Have a great weekend and your daughter will also!!!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely you can ask for most anything and they will try to help you. Tell them what you told us and it will be so. They will help you, I promise. most places have irons and etc. I'm in a domino group and we have played in kitchens, dining rooms hallways, Mc donalds in airports. You name it. Have a good time and I hope your daughter does tool Barny
    Last edited by barny; 02-16-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    My quilting friend and I go on quilt get a aways all the time. We have a table from Sams Club that's 2'x4' but folds in half for easy traveling. Lighting can be an issue, but we have always made it work. I do suggest a surge protector/extension cord. If you go with a suite type of room they ususally have ironing boards and irons. Country Inns and Suites are great, LaQuinta is a good choice also. Call the property directly and ask what they can provide you. Most are very accomodating! Have fun!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast