Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hotel Sewing >

Hotel Sewing

Hotel Sewing

Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Hotel Sewing

Wow - I think I am going to have the opportunity to take a weekend (well, really only a full day on Saturday) to spend with a friend at a hotel to sew together. My daughter has spina bifida & I just discovered a weekend retreat opportunity for her where she can go BY HERSELF and have nursing care & spend the weekend with other kids with spina bifida (she's 10). This is huge for her & I'm so very excited for her. My friend suggested that we meet somewhere semi-close to the retreat site & get a hotel room to sew together. She seldom leaves her kids, either so it will really be a rare opportunity for us.

Just wondering - we're looking at a place with a suite & there is a small-ish table with the telephone (more of a desk). Have any of you been able to request a bigger table be placed in your room or do you deal with just using the beds as work space or... Some hotels have meeting rooms - has anyone been able to use one of those? As you can see, I'm overwhelmed at this possibility & just curious what others' experiences have been. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Sorry I cannot help with the specifics for lodging, but I can wish you a WONDERFUL time with your friend, and a WONDERFUL time for your daughter as well. I am sure she will enjoy her weekend with others! and you will enjoy the company of your friend and sew, sew, sew!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

You can ask them to bring up a small conference table - even low-cost hotels like La Quinta have those. They're narrow, but the surface is big enough for two people to sit side by side and take notes, so there's enough room for a sewing machine. One of you can use the desk and one can use the conference table.

Or you could get a Residence Inn Suite - most of them have a full kitchen, a 2-person dinette and a desk - hot breakfast bar until 9:30 or 10:00 am.

Take an extension cord and a portable light - light in hotel rooms is horrendous these days.

How great that you daughter will have a chance to socialize and not feel "different"! And I know how good it will be for you to get a break, too. Have fun!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Ditto to what thepolyparrot said (no - not "polly want a cracker" ) Especially the lighting and the extension cords.....Have a GREAT time and I'll thrilled for your daughter!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Wonderful oportunity for you and your dear daughter. Most hotels are very accommodating. Call the hotel you are thinking of using and ask for what you need!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM

How wonderful for you both. Have a great time.

Annie
Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Depending on what time you pick your daughter up on Sunday, you might also request late check out so you have more sewing & visiting time. Have a great time! I'm sure your daughter will! Our 15 year old is autistic & went to overnight camp last summer for the first time - he loved it. I hardly knew what to do with myself...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

It will be worth it to ask for a room with extra seating area.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM

I find that most places try to be very accomodating - just need to ask. The worst they can say is no. I have found most come with iron and ironing boards, so that is one less thing you have to take. Ditto on the lights and extension cords. I travel many times with a craft light just to be able to do my handwork. If they don't have a table they can put in the room, if you have a card table to take would be better than nothing. However, before you know it, you have everything but the kitchen sink!!! Have fun.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 AM

I stay in hotels while away at craft shows...the lighting is horrid...plus the outlets are not usually convenient...bring with a power strip. I have used an ironing board as an extra work surface...
I like to stay at Country Inn and Suites, if possible. They are very accmadating. They may even let you use a conferance room, if it wouldn't be in use.